4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Twin turbos!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:47 PM
99mustanggt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Twin turbos!!

Twins are better for the street.Two small turbo's spool much faster than one big,which makes them much better for the street and that's why places like hp make them.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:05 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

HP the company sucks. Check around. If you want twin turbos go with hellion. But as said above twins on a stock motor is a waste.A single on a stock motor will blow it over time even with a good tune.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:20 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

HP the company sucks. Check around. If you want twin turbos go with hellion. But as said above twins on a stock motor is a waste.A single on a stock motor will blow it over time even with a good tune.
You mean the company that takes months and months to ship your kit after you've paid for it?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:07 PM
dpstang98gt
2nd Gear Member

haha yep i believe thats the company haha
Old 05-20-2008, 10:17 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

actually i emailed hellion, as well as several other companies, hp was the first to respond, still havent heard from hellion, 5 days later. Also, hellion only offers single turbo setups for my car and still prices start at 6k$. But i dont know i have heard good things about both companies. Im still worried about emmissions though,i know hp's kit offers the ability to BOLT to the stock cat side of the exhaust. which means that i can use my cats, im not sure about hellion. either way im also worried that a turbo will quiet down the exhaust too much for, its already not loud enough, but i cant remove my cats. they check! maybe a supercharger is the only way for me.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:23 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

once you have a turbo car, it doesn't matter how loud it is. My friend always tells me "It's the quiet one's you gotta watch out for"

Old 05-20-2008, 10:30 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

i know but i just love loud exhaust...

JT76- wow, thats impressive. i know nothing about gms really, but i guess we have our work cut out for us in order to be able to compete against cars like yours. What kind of power do stockers put out? Id bet even with full boltons on my car i couldnt touch one. Wow,..im getting a little depressed as i type this. Damn gms make me crazy! Thank god for boost, that will be my only chance.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:58 PM
blackhawk10

I am also thinking about putting some twins on mine. I have done a little research and i came to this conclusion: superchargers are less reliable on street (more agressive) and twins have the lag which on low rpm your car will be like driving it with out them and you can "control" your car better. The superchargers use more gas during normal driving and turbos don't use at much under normal driving. One other thing, turbos are cheaper to rebuild then the superchargers (i'm not to sure about this one, so don't take my word i still have to check that.) Also, earlyer some guys mentioned something about blowing the engine. My car has about 64k miles, and i'm going to put forced induction, so I am taking in consideration that the car has miles on the stock engine, so my plans are to run something like 400 rwhp and when the time comes to overhual it then, put the forged internals and do a little work to it and crank the boost. then the car can be making 500-600 +/- easy. I am also thinking about the kb 2.1. its about $1500 cheaper or even $2000. All this that i have typed is not set in stone. please correct me if i am wrong, but i'm confused about what to get just like maybe others here. Another possibility would be the get the supercharger and forged the rods with the little extra money?
Old 05-20-2008, 11:22 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackhawk10

I am also thinking about putting some twins on mine. I have done a little research and i came to this conclusion: superchargers are less reliable on street (more agressive) and twins have the lag which on low rpm your car will be like driving it with out them and you can "control" your car better. The superchargers use more gas during normal driving and turbos don't use at much under normal driving. One other thing, turbos are cheaper to rebuild then the superchargers (i'm not to sure about this one, so don't take my word i still have to check that.) Also, earlyer some guys mentioned something about blowing the engine. My car has about 64k miles, and i'm going to put forced induction, so I am taking in consideration that the car has miles on the stock engine, so my plans are to run something like 400 rwhp and when the time comes to overhual it then, put the forged internals and do a little work to it and crank the boost. then the car can be making 500-600 +/- easy. I am also thinking about the kb 2.1. its about $1500 cheaper or even $2000. All this that i have typed is not set in stone. please correct me if i am wrong, but i'm confused about what to get just like maybe others here. Another possibility would be the get the supercharger and forged the rods with the little extra money?
Someone told you wrong. S/C's aren't unreliable. I know plenty of people that DD procharged or vortech GTs. What gives there?

With a centri blower, you can drive around all day and not get in boost, and not waste much gas. What gives there?
Old 05-20-2008, 11:29 PM
blackhawk10

what forced induction do you have?

Quick Reply: Twin turbos!!