4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How much can a used '03 GT take?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:23 PM
mst3k

Default How much can a used '03 GT take?

Hi folks,

Total newbie here, who recently purchased a used 2003 Mustang GT. Forgive me as I try to catch up!

The car is in great condition, and has 99K miles. Bought it from its original owner, a 45 year old woman, a machinist who knew her stuff and always performed the scheduled maintenances, who drove it to and from work and took beautiful care of it. Both the inside and outside are like new (I hope to have photos soon). All of the people we've had look at the car say the engine is in great shape, and that it's clear she definitely "babied" it.

Anywho, now I'm in possession of it, and I've got a pretty simple question: assuming all of this is true, and those 98K miles weren't 98K miles of torture, how much of a beating can this car take? I've had it since Friday, but only only got a chance to take it on open road today. I've found some stretches of interstate in Virginia where I live and floored it (like, literally) maybe a dozen times for a couple seconds at a clip, always doing at least 30 at the start, just to have some fun. Well afterward, I got to thinking that the last thing I want to do is wreck the engine.

I'd be totally bummed if I was in possession of a Mustang I couldn't hit the pedal now and then, but I don't want to blow it either. As a side question, what would be the first thing to go in such a situation, and how much would it cost to fix? Oh, PS, it's an automatic transmission.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:54 AM
Shawn02GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How much can a used '03 GT take?

there is only one way to find out...
Old 05-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

drive it like you stole it or don't drive it at all....
Old 05-27-2008, 09:32 AM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

It will take some abuse if it has been cared for, but I wouldn't got WOT (wide open throttle) like all the time no motor can handle that for too long. And for your first mod go with gears or some kind of exhaust set up. How much you got to spend if you don't mind me asking?
Old 05-27-2008, 09:57 AM
snowboard49dude
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustang_NTriangle

drive it like you stole it or don't drive it at all....
LOL...thats what im talking about

And to the original threader.....go with a K&N Cold-air intake, some gears (4.10), exhaust system, and if u want toSp!ce somethings up alil get a tuner programer and set everything on max...but for a 99K stang, I wouldnt suggest it, but its up to you.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:58 AM
mst3k

I'm sure after a week or so I'll drive it like a normal person. I got this car after my last was hit (and totaled) in an accident, and after all the trouble we went through I wanted to get something that would let me have some fun now and then.

I was planning on dropping some of the money I've got saved on stereo equipment, but I could probably afford to spend up to $2K on unrelated mods for the Mustang, especially if they're going to improve its life.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:39 PM
bryan0
1st Gear Member

If you want to really wake up the car, and have $2500 or so to spend on power, do not waste your time with bolt-ons. Get a cat-back for a nice sound then get a supercharger. You can follow this for reference:
https://mustangforums.com/m_3332042/tm.htm

Basically, you find a slightly used Vortech headunit then buy each of the required sub assemblies (inlet, discharge, mating bracket, oil lines, etc) from vortech. Then you can find used fuel system stuff. You should go from 260bhp to around 350whp.

Or, you could get a real nice suspension setup and some nice wheels and tires, and still have money for a cat-back.
What are your goals for the car? That would help us help you better.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

I beat the **** out of my 121k mile 96 Tbird with NPI 4.6, it sees WOT on a daily basis and has for the 3 years I've owned it. No problems yet.
99k miles is nothing for a well taken care of 4.6.