4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Does this sound have a name, and how can I get more of it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:44 PM
AirBrontosaurus
2nd Gear Member

Default Does this sound have a name, and how can I get more of it?

I don't know if this sound is called anything special, but what is it called when you downshift and let the car slow itself down, and you hear this deep gurgling? It sounds like Satan is boiling a thick pot of awesome.

It happens when I stop accelerating at about 3k RPMs and let the engine naturally slide back down to about 1200. While the engine is decelerating the gurgling sound comes out of what seems to be the middle of the car (the muffler chamber?). When it gets to equilibrium speed, or when I apply gas, it stops making the sound.

I absolutely love the sound, and would love to be able to enhance it if that is possible. Or at least know what it's called (if it's called anything).
Old 05-27-2008, 01:49 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Does this sound have a name, and how can I get more of it?

its engine braking and if you do a full exhaust thtll enhance it a lot!
Old 05-27-2008, 02:53 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Its called a bad IAC. That gurgaling sound is gas in the exhaust igniting because the IAC that is supposed to be wide open at the time is stuck and cut air out causing a rich condition.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:28 PM
AirBrontosaurus
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Its called a bad IAC. That gurgaling sound is gas in the exhaust igniting because the IAC that is supposed to be wide open at the time is stuck and cut air out causing a rich condition.
Oh... that sounds very bad. Can I hurt my car by not fixing this? And if I need to fix it, do I just buy a new IAC?
Old 05-27-2008, 04:38 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

No it wont hurt. Rich never hurts it just carbons up the engine. Just clean the IAC.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AirBrontosaurus

I don't know if this sound is called anything special, but what is it called when you downshift and let the car slow itself down, and you hear this deep gurgling? It sounds like Satan is boiling a thick pot of awesome.

It happens when I stop accelerating at about 3k RPMs and let the engine naturally slide back down to about 1200. While the engine is decelerating the gurgling sound comes out of what seems to be the middle of the car (the muffler chamber?). When it gets to equilibrium speed, or when I apply gas, it stops making the sound.

I absolutely love the sound, and would love to be able to enhance it if that is possible. Or at least know what it's called (if it's called anything).
That was awesome. I loved the way you put that.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:32 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

It might be worsened by a bad IAC, but I dont think you can find a car that wont do that.

it's just backpressure built up as the rpms drop.

sounds awesome

mine pops from time to time, but it's very deep, and i know the exact sound you're talking about loving!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:22 PM
TeamCobra
1st Gear Member

See if you can find a clip that has the Dynomax 3" Ultraflo catback system. The pipes are so huge, that it crackles, burbles, backfires, and makes children cry. At 5000 RPM it sounds like screaming demons are singing "Stairway to Heaven" backwards.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:32 PM
max427
2nd Gear Member

No it wont hurt. Rich never hurts it just carbons up the engine. Just clean the IAC.
it will still gurgle, even new mustangs with 2 miles on them do it. might lessen the effect, but probably to no noticeable degree.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:38 PM
MachWon04
1st Gear Member

I can't get enough of this sound either. It reeks of pure awesomeness. Where is the IAC?

Quick Reply: Does this sound have a name, and how can I get more of it?