4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

door lock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 05:15 PM
01GTDropTop
2nd Gear Member

Default door lock?

I went out to my car to unlock the passenger side door and come to find out that the lock is not popping up with the remote. I open the car (driver's side) and hit the lock/unlock switches on both doors and the little **** just budges. Ok, I have not taken off the door panel, for I am throwing a graduation party for my little sister, but am open to ideas before I do so tomorrow.

Could it be the connection to the switch or the actual connection to the rod connected to the lock, or a seperate fuse?

Thank you for any input,
Phil
Old 06-07-2008, 05:22 PM
1999 GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: door lock?

u gotta take off the door panel and theres a white plastic clip that connects the little lock **** to the locking mechanism...it might have fell off
Old 06-07-2008, 05:54 PM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

I just had this happen to me last week. My fuse blew. 10amp under the dash. I couldn't understand how it was still budging even though the fuse was blown but any-who, check yur fuze!!!
Old 06-08-2008, 04:56 PM
01GTDropTop
2nd Gear Member

Ruffcat, my hopes were raised when you mentioned that. I looked underneath the dash and no fuses blown. Actually, looking in the owners manual, my #19 fuse 15A is the door locks.Anybody have a diagram where the clips and screws are located on the door panels to take them off?I have not had the pleasure of removing the door panels yet and would like to do it correctly.

Thank you,
Phil

BTW, the search engine on this website is not showing any results for door panel removal how to.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:49 PM
01GTDropTop
2nd Gear Member

Ok, the door panel is off, nothing loose or disconnected. The only way the door will "unlock" is if you open the door from the inside to open it. The remote does not unlock the passenger side nor the the passenger unlock/lock buttons. Sensor or loose ground somewhere?? The driver's side is working just fine.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Phil
Old 06-08-2008, 05:56 PM
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member

i got the same problem, with the remote and manually pressing the unlock button in the car...it could be the actuator thats what i would think, im just too lazy to fix it http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00...spagenameZWDVW

once in awhile itll unlock...but usually u press it and it tries to go up but doesnt then keeps gettin weaker and weaker

-Pat
Old 06-08-2008, 06:15 PM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

Well my radio was out oo so I knew something was up! My radio fuse is the same as the door lock. i dunno.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:08 PM
briansbodyshop
1st Gear Member

It is most likelythe door lock actuator. They get really weak over time and dont have enough power to push and pull the lock. If the door actuator is mounted like most fords are,You will have to have a punch,hammer,drill,rivet gun and rivets to replace the old one. Take it to a body shop and have them do it if you are not sure....
Old 06-09-2008, 11:18 AM
01GTDropTop
2nd Gear Member

It was the door lock actuator, I went to autozone and picked up a new one. Of course the passenger side is most expensive than the driver's side because that is the side that went out. Funny how that always happens, the part you need is always more expensive than the other side. It was around $70 for the passenger and $50 for the driver's side.

Brian, it was held in by Torx screws, no need for rivets here.

Thank you gentlemen,
Phil
Old 06-09-2008, 11:27 AM
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member

sweet now i can do mine whenever i feel like spendin $70, haha not lol ill just live with it, but you got it fixed thats all that counts

Quick Reply: door lock?