4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

all about tuners

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 05:37 PM
rob.d
1st Gear Member

Default RE: all about tuners

I agree with this statement the most that is in bold. The biggest most important reason to us a dyno I feel is because of the safety factor. And the ablity to control the environmet ie rain, dust, cops, cars, tire slip,and lets not forget the animals that tend to jump out on the middle of the road. Also I never tune an engine tillit reaches operating temp anyway. Unlessim tuning something like cold startup ect. But from a performance stand point the butt o meteris just not reliable enough for me. Ipersonal feel that you should tune on the mustang dyno firstto getairfuel ratioset. And it is always nice to tune timing correctly. Not the letswait until we getKR then back it up a couple of degrees.Plus you can tune part throttle faster/safer on a dyno than what you can do on the street/back roads. After everything is done on a dyno then the final tweeks can be made on the track as you have stated.I just can't see the risk out waying the gains. I know of two guys that have wrecked thier cars because of tuning on the street. I can tune mostbolt on cars in an hour or less on the dyno.It is nice to be able to tune a car for max power, snappy throttle response, and fueleconomy all atthe same time.It is also kind of hard to tune a car at the track for fuel economy and part throttle. When it all said and done I will continue to tune using the dyno and track. And other will take the risk in the back roads/street. [sm=badidea.gif]
ORIGINAL: cliffyk

ORIGINAL: rob.d
[/align]Can you explain why you would never need a dyno tuner again.
[/align][/align]As I have stated in other posts, there's no magic or other mystical properties to a "dyno tune", it's just a tuning method that happen to use a dynamometer to gauge the effectiveness of tuning changes. It's a somewhat more convenient way of doing it, which lets you stay in one place while tweaking a tune, however it can do nothing that using a drag strip, stretch of lonely road and stop watch, a G-Tech type accelerometer, our a good butt dyno cannot do.[/align][/align]One could also argue that the high oil and coolant temperatures typicalof back to back dyno runsmakes a dyno tune nothing but a good starting point for getting out on the track/road and really getting things dialed in.[/align][/align]I have had my carupon the drums4 times since I bought it. Once 3 days after to get a baseline, once after some exhaust work. and then twice so that I could tweak the tune between runs (I am fortunate the the shop I use in Daytona lets me do my own tuning. I made 3 runs the last time and got the tune (Sniper SF) adjusted pretty well, however that tune is now my base tune and the Sniper package lets ME make seasonal and other changes to it as I see fit.[/align]
Old 06-14-2008, 06:07 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Down here in Florida we have numerous backroads that are dead flat and as straight as an arrow for 10s of miles, and with 2-3 miles visibility; one just12 miles from where I sit right now. While I cannot in any good conscience 100% endorse using a public road for tuning purposes, if one was going to (not that I ever have [cough]) you can't find a better place than one of these...
Old 06-14-2008, 06:50 PM
firehorse02
2nd Gear Member

If your planning on getting the Sniper Software and Tuner then but you want to do your gears first, You don't have to rush out and buy them all at once. I have a 2002 GT with the 3.73's on it and have yet to get a tuner to adjust my speedo (Waiting to save up the money). Going to the 3.73's doesn't throw your speedo off by much. Maybe by like 2mph. So don't worry about having to get both at once, unless you've got the money for it, then by all means go for it.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:53 PM
firehorse02
2nd Gear Member

Hey cliffyk,
Does the Sniper have the capability to do a 2 step Rev. Limiter? I don't see anything about that on the site, also it doesn't state if you can make it so that the Trac Control stays off on startup.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:45 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: firehorse02

Hey cliffyk,
Does the Sniper have the capability to do a 2 step Rev. Limiter? I don't see anything about that on the site, also it doesn't state if you can make it so that the Trac Control stays off on startup.
[/align][/align]The Special Forces package does not, it is some thing that has been talked about on the Sniper ForumI do not know it the EEC-V PCM can be programmed to provide that function (I.e. it may require a "piggyback" daughter board to accomplish.[/align][/align]The Sniper does indeed provide the ability to keep the t/c off, one of the first things I set on my tunes. Unfortunately due to liability concerns (you know, "10,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean = a good start") the Special Forces software does not save the setting between sessions. [/align][/align]My SFScrape documenter/loader takes care of that and the other "we don't want to be sued" setting as well.[/align]
Old 06-14-2008, 07:53 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: firehorse02

If your planning on getting the Sniper Software and Tuner then but you want to do your gears first, You don't have to rush out and buy them all at once. I have a 2002 GT with the 3.73's on it and have yet to get a tuner to adjust my speedo (Waiting to save up the money). Going to the 3.73's doesn't throw your speedo off by much. Maybe by like 2mph. So don't worry about having to get both at once, unless you've got the money for it, then by all means go for it.
[/align][/align]It's 9 mph in 5th gear at 2000 rpm. Stock gears = 73 mph, 3.73s = 64 mph. With 3.73s and no correction if the speedo says73 you'll really be going 64. This makes it seem like everyone around you is really flying...[/align]
Old 06-14-2008, 07:53 PM
firehorse02
2nd Gear Member

Sounds good Cliff, thanks for responding. I will have to check all that out and save the money to be able to purchase the Sniper. Just really wish it had the 2 step
Old 06-14-2008, 08:18 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Hmm ok so if I find an installation place with a tuner, can I ask them to recalibrate my speedo once and for all? and then worry about buying my own tuner later down the road when I drop in more upgrades?

Also, so the sniper tuner cannot provide a 2step rev limiter? Is the sniper tuner really that much better than the others like say the Xcal3?

Brandon
Old 06-14-2008, 09:55 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Yeah, your right...because we all know that a "2-step" rev limiter is what life is all about...
Old 06-15-2008, 05:22 PM
firehorse02
2nd Gear Member

You don't have to have a 2 step, I was just wondering cause it would be nice since I frequent the track for competition. I will just have to sacrifice the 2 step and get better with my pedal RPM's.

Quick Reply: all about tuners