MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Traction Control - 2000 GT (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/453057-traction-control-2000-gt.html)

newb2000GT 06-12-2008 02:28 PM

Traction Control - 2000 GT

My traction control light is no longer lit on my button in a 2000 GT.

Is there a problem with the traction control or is it simply an indicator light? I haven't checked the fuses yet but I will do that soon. The weather is good right now but if it gets cold or wet I will have issues and I don't need traction control kicking in if my tires break free.

Any thoughts?

TIA!

[edit]

I found this in the online owner's manual:

"If a system fault is detected the OFF indicator lamp on the traction control switch will be illuminated and your vehicle should be serviced."

The light does not come on whether it is pressed or not so I'm assuming this means a fuse possibly.

FoMoCo99 06-12-2008 02:39 PM

RE: Traction Control - 2000 GT

I would definately check the fuses first. I know that the fuse for the traction control also operates a few of your dash lights, like the service engine soon light and things like that. Just turn your key on and make sure it looks like all those lights are coming on, if not chances are it is the fuse. I would just try to turnthe traction controloff and then bring it off to see if the traction control kicked in. If anyone else knows a way to just bypass the traction control without pulling the fuse so you lose the other things, I would be happy to know how it is done.

jwarner0297 06-12-2008 02:40 PM

if you give it WOT does your car spin and still rev? If so then it is probably just the light or power getting to the light

newb2000GT 06-12-2008 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: jwarner0297

if you give it WOT does your car spin and still rev? If so then it is probably just the light or power getting to the light
I have 285's and subframe connectors so I have really good traction. If I stand on it, I go.

If I rev it and dump the clutch I can easily break them loose but I do not want to do that because if traction control kicks in and cuts fuel while I am in boost (which I will be if I break them loose) that would be really bad.

cliffyk 06-12-2008 03:51 PM

The fuse the powers the t/c on-off LED is a 15A fuse in position 5 (front left corner of the fuse block). If it's blown the LED cannot light, and you will not be able to turn off the t/c as it is also the source for the 12V signal used to tell the instrument cluster electronics (which in turn siganls the ABS module) to turn on the traction control.[/align][/align]

newb2000GT 06-13-2008 11:03 AM

Well, it was wet out today and I was spinning quite a bit. Traction control was in fact off (spun just fine and no TC activation light on the dash) but the light was not lit. I guess it could be that the LED is burnt out. My other idiot lights believed to be on the same fuse as the TC light are working fine so it's probably not a fuse. I thought it could be a wire connection issue but based on what cliff says above, that likely isn't it. I'll pull the button out this weekend and figure out what the deal is. Thaks for the help guys.

cliffyk 06-13-2008 12:16 PM

Here's the wiring diagram for the t/c switch:

http://www.paladinmicro.com/images/TCSwitch01.gif

That lower module with the SCP+ and SCP- terminals is the ABS controller.

If the t/c is off, after starting the car (and your not pressing the button), then it may be that the normally open PB switch is shorted or stuck closed. Another possibility of course is that it's turned off in the tune and the LED is lit for some reason.

Check the connector at the switch for bent/shorted pins, and see if there's +12V at pin 1 (key in RUN). You could aslo connect a 1-1/2V battery across pins 6 and 4 of the switch (+ to pin 6) to see if the LED is good.

If there's power at pin 1, and the LED tests OK with a battery, then the problem must be in the instrument cluster's electronics.

cliffyk 06-13-2008 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: newb2000GT

Well, it was wet out today and I was spinning quite a bit. Traction control was in fact off (spun just fine and no TC activation light on the dash) but the light was not lit. I guess it could be that the LED is burnt out. My other idiot lights believed to be on the same fuse as the TC light are working fine so it's probably not a fuse. I thought it could be a wire connection issue but based on what cliff says above, that likely isn't it. I'll pull the button out this weekend and figure out what the deal is. Thaks for the help guys.
I just reread your posting, the fuse is dedicated to the t/c (it feeds one of the 4 power inputs to the cluster, however I suspect within the cluster it is also dedicated to t/c functions), if you have not checked do that first...