4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Possible electric problems? newbie needs help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 10:37 PM
markdr

Default Possible electric problems? newbie needs help

Been a really long time since I posted.
Im experiencing some troublesome symptoms with my car. 2000 GT, extremely well maintained. Not really any mods on it but it is in exceptional shape. It does have cold air induction which has been on the car for over 5 years, and magnaflow exhaust, been on the car for over 1 year.
Usually when I turn my car on, the instrument panel gauges jump to life and do their thing. RPM, oil, electric gauges all immediately respond. However lately, when I turn the car on, or even if I just turn the key to the on position without starting the engine, the gauges dont move as they are supposed. They remain dead, then about 20 seconds later will come to life, the mileage screen will show all 000's then go to the correct mileage, like the computer is resetting itself.
Ive noticed only once that the car seemed to hesitate really bad, and the gauges were all dead, and then the car stopped hesitating when the gauges came alive again.
I have a new battery in it. I did recently just blow the plastic / vinyl intake manifold and had it replaced with the new aluminum one. Cant see why that would be doing this though.
In the past, but certainly not recently, I did tune my car with a diablo type tuner. But it has been on stock programming for well over a year because I did not really like messing with the tuning.
Any thoughts on this? Im afraid this could be pointing to some serious trouble and would like to prevent anything from happening.
Thanks!