4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

short tubes or long tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 11:03 PM
n0th1n2kn0vv
1st Gear Member

Default RE: short tubes or long tube headers

ORIGINAL: SeanAndKate

does long tubes affect being able to lower the car?
I dont think it will affect lowering the front 2 inches. I would just be careful when going over speed bumps to make sure. My 95 hits the cats when speeding up and down hills even with stock exhaust and springs, so just be careful.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:29 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

You will most likely not see the gains others have mentioned. Naturally aspirated motors usually see gains of 7-20 rwhp for LTs, mid-pipe and a tune. Since you already have a mid-pipe you might get 5 rwhp, maybe less.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:36 AM
tmcc02gt
2nd Gear Member

okay, here's a general question regarding long tubes. since dh04redgt already has o/r x pipe, couldnt he have them cut or modified to fit l/t's? if it wouldnt be too costly, then he would def be better off going w/ l/t's
Old 06-16-2008, 10:44 AM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Eagle2000GT

You will most likely not see the gains others have mentioned. Naturally aspirated motors usually see gains of 7-20 rwhp for LTs, mid-pipe and a tune. Since you already have a mid-pipe you might get 5 rwhp, maybe less.
Why do you say that?? 5.0 magazine had an article on 4.6L bolt ons and got 3 rwhp with an "out of the box" tune. with welded in cherry bomb mufflers they got 7 rwhp. With those two you got 10 rwHP already. Yeah I agree that is not a lot but with midpipe and headers added it will go over 20 rwhp.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:04 AM
1sloblckgt
4th Gear Member

[sm=icon_blah.gif] [sm=icon_blah.gif] [sm=icon_blah.gif] [sm=icon_blah.gif] [sm=icon_blah.gif] [sm=icon_blah.gif]

You guys are like a bunch of little girls...
Go with longtubes.
I dont want to hear anything about wasting money on different midpipes. I bought an O/R X pipe and had it for about a year, I just bought and installed a MAC O/R H a month ago, and now I have LT's and a Shorty H sitting in my Basement... I wish I would have started off with longtubes from the beginning, but i thought that I just wanted it to sound better... That was until the power bug hit me and now I have over 13,000$ in the car... not including the cost of the car.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jwarner0297

Why do you say that?? 5.0 magazine had an article on 4.6L bolt ons and got 3 rwhp with an "out of the box" tune. with welded in cherry bomb mufflers they got 7 rwhp. With those two you got 10 rwHP already. Yeah I agree that is not a lot but with midpipe and headers added it will go over 20 rwhp.
I was talking about 5 rwhp on top of what he already has. He has already gained the rwhp for the mid-pipes. By the way, most people who do before and after dynos don't see a 20 rwhp gains. One member of this forum posted that they got 7 rwhp. Another with a supercharger got 12 rwhp. I didn't see any horsepower gain but I did get more torque.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:37 PM
n0th1n2kn0vv
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tmcc02gt

okay, here's a general question regarding long tubes. since dh04redgt already has o/r x pipe, couldnt he have them cut or modified to fit l/t's? if it wouldnt be too costly, then he would def be better off going w/ l/t's
Yes, and it is not costly. You can do it yourself and weld them together or make your own attachments.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:45 PM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jwarner0297

I was talking about 5 rwhp on top of what he already has. He has already gained the rwhp for the mid-pipes. By the way, most people who do before and after dynos don't see a 20 rwhp gains. One member of this forum posted that they got 7 rwhp. Another with a supercharger got 12 rwhp. I didn't see any horsepower gain but I did get more torque.
I see what you're saying. So many people on here talk how bolt ons do nothing, and I know supercharging is big HP. 5.0 magazine did that article cause of those people saying bolt ons are nothing. they did mufflers, t/b+plenum, pulleys, RAI and a box tune and got like 40 RWTQ and 34 RWHP.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:25 AM
Dagwood

ORIGINAL: n0th1n2kn0vv

I would just go with the long tubes because later on, your going to want to get more power and better sound out of it with that addiction you have
Instead of wasting money on shorties, do the longtubes from the start and you will not have to think about changing it again.
Well Shorties are fine if there equal length, people think when the here shorties there is only one style but there isnt the power and torque comes from the length of tubes not the style so if you had to use a budget and a mid pipe and decent cat back was out of the question then Id go with the equal length shorties if I were you. youd be looking at the same gains as long tubes.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:06 AM
lexy
3rd Gear Member

my old Gt dynoed at 160rwhp and 300rwtq. anyways if id do LT's then i'd dyno at 280rwhp. they actaually add 10-20 wheel horsepower. shorties don't do nothing. Stock are just as good!

Quick Reply: short tubes or long tube headers