4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hooked on tuning. Tuners a PIA. What to do.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:36 AM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

Default Hooked on tuning. Tuners a PIA. What to do.

I have to get my car tuned once again. I bought a V2 SQ. I'm sick of going to the PIA tuners and waiting several hours just to pay him money. I really do not want to blow my car up by tuning things wrong. Is the Sniper tuning reliable? I would rather put money towards that so I can get more bang for my dollar$. I am buying a wideband so other than seeing how much power i'm putting down, are there any benefits to going to the SCT dyno tuner? He won't even give me tunes that allow me to change idle, fan settings,..etc. He totally blocks things. I had to drive 30min. to him just to get a basic tune for the V2 set-up so I can safely drive it to him. He wouldn't email it to me. He's simply a PIA! He's the only one around Albany, NY within 100mile radius of me. Thanks for input
Old 06-15-2008, 09:33 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Hooked on tuning. Tuners a PIA. What to do.

Tuning for a centri with sniper is pretty easy. The easiest way to do it is when you are answering the questions in the drop downs put in that you are running 2-3 more pounds of boost then you actually are. That will run you rich as hell and less timing, which is a safe place to start. Then just data log with recon and a wideband and adjust the tune. You want to be around 11.5-11.7 A/F ratio with a blower so lean it out till you get there. Take in to consideration how idle and cruise a/f is because if they are rich you will need to lean global which will also lean WOT. The best way to do that is to tune idle first then cruise then WOT. Once you are done with that I would suggest renting dyno time (around $100 last i checked) to tune spark. Advance it until you are making max power without knock. All of this will give you a very good tune but not perfect, for perfect I suggest upgrading to commando. But with just SF you will be close to max potential.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:22 AM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like I would still have to go to the tuners. He will do me for $150 as this will be my 3rd time there this year. That would save me $369 for the software and wideband that I would be ordering $250, plus the hassle of datalogging. I suppose waiting for a few hours and the hassle of setting up an appointment will be worth it as I already have the xcal2. I appreciate the info as it was very helpful. I hadn't the slightest clue what their programming is like. I got pulled over the last time I datalogged because my exhaust is so damn loud. I datalogged from a stop at the entrance ramp to one of the highways here in NY. The cop heard me from waaaaaay back since it took him 2 exits to catch me. He let me off with a warning. I was shocked because when he threw his lights on, I was cruising at 90mph in a 65! Phew. I really don't have many places to get right on it as I'm pretty well in the city. Especially for datalogging. It seems I would have to do several logs to get things right and then get over to the dyno. I think I'll "pay" it safe!...haha how corny waz that! Play it safe....dork...
Old 06-15-2008, 10:56 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

You dont have to go to a dyno. I have never been on a dyno. I use a knock sensor and indicator light to watch for knock. With a blower its easier then NA to tune spark. You will knock before you reach max power from advancing timing. The one major plus about spending the money for a wideband and sniper is that after you are tuned if you decide to up your boost, add an intercooler, add meth, change cams, upgrade maf and injectors(when needed) or just want to tune for gas mileage for a long trip you dont have to pay a tuner again just change your tune on your own.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:01 AM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I hear ya. I'l have to decide by tonight! i'm trying to save for a cruise as well.