MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   HOW-To: Baer 13inch rear brake upgrade. (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/454493-how-to-baer-13inch-rear-brake-upgrade.html)

Aereon 06-20-2008 01:56 AM

RE: HOW-To: Baer 13inch rear brake upgrade.

The rear brakes only do 10% of your braking, there will be no benefit to upgrading the rear brakes to larger rotors with the same calipers other than decreased rotor cooling times. If you upgrade the caliper in the rear, there will also be very little benefit until you install a brake proportioning valve and change the bias.

Rear cobra brakes are the same as gt brakes, the front cobra brakes are the same as mach1 and bullitts.

Baer might recommend it, but you still will find very little to no actual drivers with them as they have not proven themselves to be worth the extra money. If I made rotors (i.e brembo or baer) I'd recommend these for everyone, and leave it in small print that these shouldnt be race driven. (same price to them as a plain rotor, all they do is drill a few holes and can charge double)

The stock gt brakes are sufficient for autocross for the average person (non competition) so upgrading to the cobra rears are fine on the track.

Front brakes should be the first thing you upgrade due to the stock gt calipers insufficient clamping force, and the soft front spring rate of the gt (nose dive), your gonna wanna swap in a bigger caliper (cheapest would be the mach1 upgrade kit) if your gonna go tracking as the additional stopping power will help with confidence and overall time.

I have yet to go with my new setup but I am dying to try out thunderhill with the IRS, last time I went was with mach1 front calipers, hps pads, 295 toyo t1r's, sfc's, mm coilovers, and mm xd lca's. I have not yet noticed any increase in stopping ability from swapping out the SRA (rear gt brakes) with an IRS (cobra rear brakes).

Blackened04 06-20-2008 12:44 PM

Thanks for the info Aeron... when I go to upgrade my brakes I think im just going to go with the Mach 1 calipers in the front and larger rotors. I dont do any tracking in my car, I just want some extra braking power for daily driving.

Aereon 06-20-2008 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Blackened04

Thanks for the info Aeron... when I go to upgrade my brakes I think im just going to go with the Mach 1 calipers in the front and larger rotors. I dont do any tracking in my car, I just want some extra braking power for daily driving.
Yea, in that case the mach1 calipers with a set of hps pads would be more than enough for ya, as it does what it needs to when I goto the track.

ShadowDrake 06-21-2008 03:49 AM

Funny to see Aereon in a brake thread saying that slotted and drilled rotors are the WORST THINGS EVER. That's the exact reason I have him blocked currently. A slotted and drilled rotor must have murdered both of his parents in the middle of the night or something, because he's holding quite a grudge.

For street cars, the choice should be for purely appearance-based reasons. Pad life is FINE with rotors of this sort, I'm going on 40k miles on the pads that came with my calipers since the swap, it's seen auto-cross time, drag strip time, and generally lots of braking abuse and the pads still have plenty of life! My rotors STILL have not exploded into a million pieces, and I doubt they are going to. Seriously, let Aereon blow off steam about brakes and go back to ignoring him like any sensible person should.

I'm glad to see someone bought this kit and did a little write-up on it. I wish I had found and purchased this kit instead of the cobra rear brakes. It's cheaper, and puts a larger (size-matching) rotor on the back, which is what I wanted! Another note to add, if you have a cobra or already have cobra brakes on the rear, this kit WILL NOT FIT. The caliper mounting bracket is spaced about an inch farther out on the cobras (which is why you have to remove the axleshafts to do the cobra swap for the rear - caliper mounting brackets have to be changed). This would put the caliper out too far for a 13" rotor, you would need more along the lines of a 14-14.5" rotor, which is way too big :)

This rear swap should be done for appearance only, upgrading the rear brakes will not drastically improve your braking performance - most of your stopping power is in the front.

Aereon 06-21-2008 06:39 AM

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

Funny to see Aereon in a brake thread saying that slotted and drilled rotors are the WORST THINGS EVER. That's the exact reason I have him blocked currently. A slotted and drilled rotor must have murdered both of his parents in the middle of the night or something, because he's holding quite a grudge.

For street cars, the choice should be for purely appearance-based reasons. Pad life is FINE with rotors of this sort, I'm going on 40k miles on the pads that came with my calipers since the swap, it's seen auto-cross time, drag strip time, and generally lots of braking abuse and the pads still have plenty of life! My rotors STILL have not exploded into a million pieces, and I doubt they are going to. Seriously, let Aereon blow off steam about brakes and go back to ignoring him like any sensible person should.

I'm glad to see someone bought this kit and did a little write-up on it. I wish I had found and purchased this kit instead of the cobra rear brakes. It's cheaper, and puts a larger (size-matching) rotor on the back, which is what I wanted! Another note to add, if you have a cobra or already have cobra brakes on the rear, this kit WILL NOT FIT. The caliper mounting bracket is spaced about an inch farther out on the cobras (which is why you have to remove the axleshafts to do the cobra swap for the rear - caliper mounting brackets have to be changed). This would put the caliper out too far for a 13" rotor, you would need more along the lines of a 14-14.5" rotor, which is way too big :)

This rear swap should be done for appearance only, upgrading the rear brakes will not drastically improve your braking performance - most of your stopping power is in the front.
Nice to see I've agitated someone enough to block me. I'm glad you think it's bs and whatnot but again as I've asked anyone who've said I'm bs'in and whatnot to provide proof. Also, thank you for bringing my parents into this and claiming that they are dead, I hope your parents live a long life on the other hand.

I just find it funny how you think you can defy science and for some magical reason your car works better with crossdrilled/slotted rotors where dedicated track cars do not. Meh, I guess I'll just leave these technical discussions to those with no scientific proof to backup their claims. Go ahead and block corner-carvers as well since they actually have science/physics to back up claims.

It's poster's like ShadowDrake that cause alot of other people that actually have worthwhile tech to leave MF. (not including myself since I'm off my rockers and my parents died of some horrible crash due to cross drilled rotors somehow becoming explosive and imploding on itself in a 5 mph turn.)

http://www.google.com/search?q=drilled+rotors+vs+plain just a simple search shows there are a bunch of idiots out there, guess we should all get together and form a blank rotor cult because its cheaper and cross drilled rotors blow up according to our crazy beliefs..

Stangatic 05-28-2009 11:31 AM

UPDATE:
Hello All,
I should have done this a long time ago, but have been a little too busy to post it.

Product review: "DO NOT BUY THE BAER 13" PLUS ONE REAR UPGRADE for 1995- 2004 MUSTANGS"

Reason: Ever since I have put the brakes on, I get ticking noises that come from the rear Brakes. It sounds like those stupid plastic beads that kids put on their bicycle's rims and when they slow down, they make a very stupid and annoying ticking sound.

What is the cause: When Baer made the rotors, they failed to put vents straight through the center of the rotors. (See the front of a stock rotor). Every time the pad makes contact with one of the little drilled holes, gasses build, and release making a popping noise.

I called Baer and they said they have never heard of the problem. I then called Brother's Performance and they said they get complaints all the time about them.

I wish I would have know before I purchased the upgrade kit from them.

Solution: Use Steeda's 13" upgrade rear rotor, it just has slots. No holes.

Stevecooper 05-28-2009 12:35 PM

I'll admit that I was a little lazy and just skimmed the thread but I thought I would point something out...

did anyone else notice that this 13" upgrade wasn't even vented like the 11.65 cobra rotor?

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...P1010068-1.jpg

Stangatic 05-28-2009 01:57 PM

^ yea, I did once I bought them, but failed to think.

fullmonte60 08-25-2009 09:46 AM

great discussion!. jegs has the baer kit on sale for $175. i guess b-cuz no one is buying :)

chris92 12-25-2016 05:14 AM

Any chance Stangatic is still on the site and has the pics of this write up? Just picked up this kit brand new for $150 and would like to see what he's talking about before diving in.