4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Did I mess up my tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:36 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default Did I mess up my tranny?

So I was driving today and at one point I was going maybe 30-35mph when I saw a red light in front kinda far away and decided to coast. I pushed in the clutch and wanted to just play with the shifter moving it between gears. I noticed that I was not able to move it to first. I don't know if it is stuck or something as I didn't want to force it too much. When I try pushing it into first, it simply won't let me and I can hear this terrible grinding sound. I was only able to move to first when my car eventually slowed down to like 5-10mph.

My dad told me that it is normal and that it is a safety feature embedded in the shifter that prevents you moving to 1st if you are going too fast even with the clutch depressed. Is this true? He told me that the grinding sound I heard was the gears grinding. So are my gears ****ed? The car still works and everything but is it going to break down soon?

Moving the shifter inbetween gates has always seemed alittle chunky and not smooth, maybe I should buy a tri-ax soon.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 06-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Did I mess up my tranny?

no its fine, the syncro's wont let the input shaft speed up enough for the doggs to engage. although, i dont suggest doing it again.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:02 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Ok thanks for the reply but i'm not sure what that means lol. All I know is there was this grinding sound and I probably did itfor 2 seconds each of the 5 or so times I tried to put it to first. I eventually gave up and realized it wouldn't go into gear. Yeah now that I know, I won't be doing it again. I hope this lockout feature doesn't apply to 2nd gear cause sometimes I like to coast and put the shifter into gear according to what I think I will slow down to and engage the clutch again.

Brandon
Old 06-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Texas01GT
1st Gear Member

nah dude its just like the guy said, it was your syncros, and yes 2nd will do it depending how fast your going...so if your going like 80...and try to put it into second..prolly aint goin to happin, it will just do the samething as your first gear is doing, i sometimes try to go into first a lil early on accident, and it doesnt sound like "grinding", more of a whirling noise, but your tranny is fine