4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:44 AM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: suspension

sounds like you got it planned out. i like doing things seperately as well to see what changes each thing had. however i installed my springs, shocks, and struts all in one shot. i absolutly love how she rides and handles now. SMOOTH like a brand new car again. i thought i would notice more a little more with the full length sub-frames....but they are noticable tho. they made things a bit more stiff and solid/stable feeling. overall i was/am pleased with them as well.

havent done the bumpsteer kit since i dont need it.

upper and lower control arms are my next mod. not sure of how much of a difference they are going to make....or exactly how/what they feel like....but like all the rest of my mods...i will find out!

after the upper and lower control arms i think im going to get a damn good set of tires, and then be done with it.....i dunno....i MIGHT change out the gearing....maybe...but then i would be done for sure.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

If you have the flow I would go with coilovers if you're going to be getting in there and getting dirty anyways! This way you can adjust your ride height to your likingBetter yet, if you're going to be going to all the trouble of pulling your struts pulling the whole K-member is only a few more bolts away! LOL!

I did it and I love the way the car handles like it's on rails. Just make sure you talk to whatever company you use about spring rates. I ran full race hypercoils and they are STIFF!!! LOL!

Oh yeah....and good brakes too!

John
Old 06-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

camber plates = BS waste of money.

Lowered with sportlines W/ NO isolators.
Who the heck cares, as long as the car is near spec, you wont notice any abnormal wear.8 months on sportlines, my tires are perfect in the front. You want a little bit of negative camber anyway. I don't know why everybody cries 'camber plates, ooo camber plates'
Old 06-20-2008, 11:40 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

That's your first mistake... "As long as the car is near spec." There's a reason why they design things the way they do.. As soon as you start to mix and match parts without considering what you're doing, it's just a good way to either destroy decent handling characteristics, wear things out quicker (like ball joints, tie-rod ends, tires) or even make your car a slob on the road...

I'm also not sure why you seem to think having some negative camber on a street driven daily driving car is a great idea....

Caster/Camber plates are a great idea if you have the money, and want to modify things right.. You may not absolutely need it, but why would you skimp on things?? Would you skimp on an engine build?? I hope not.. It's your investment, and it's your car, so have a blast..

JT
Old 06-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MoKo_04GT

if you are only going with a 1 1/4 inch drop, then there is no need to spend extra money on camber plates....you wont need them.

if you want a good deal on shocks/struts, brenspeed.com has tokico blues for like 260 - 270 shipped for all four. couple them with some good springs and your ride, will ride 10 times better than it does now.
+1, I got the Tokico HP's from brenspeed for $273 shipped, paired them with C springs, and I love it. The car rides and handles awesome. Not harsh at all, just a nice planted feel.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:11 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Suspension is such a waste of money.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:48 AM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Take your car out on a road course. You'll never look back!

John
Old 06-21-2008, 03:28 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Novanutcase

John
It's nice to see that you've kept your GT man, I was hoping it wouldnt goto some idiot that turns around and wrecks all that suspension work.

As for the torque arm and panhard bar I asked you about earlier, I ended up selling them and swapping out the SRA for an IRS, I couldnt be happier with the outcome^^.

To the OP, it's hard to suggest a suspension setup for you as I would suggest the best since you haven't given any kind of a budget or purpose.

I find it hard to understand why people would spend thousands on their engine and spend a few bucks on their suspension and think their car is done. Think of it like this, your engine dies while your driving, your car will stop running, you'll be pissed and embarassed. Your suspension fails while your driving, you'll be mending bones/cuts, and your family will be pissed.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:39 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Novanutcase

John
I don't do road courses. If you can turn while racing, your not going fast enough.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:58 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Oxfordgt: I'm still amazed you don't have issues with how low the front of your car is.. I don't remember what you have for front springs, but have you ever had issues with ball joints, or control arm bushings?? How about bottoming out either the suspension or the body?? I see that you're in TN, and more than likely don't have the same potholes we have up north, but damn, that's low...

JT

Quick Reply: suspension