4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MSD Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:38 AM
96GTSMOKER
1st Gear Member

Default MSD Ignition

Will it make a big difference by me switching my COILs and Wires with MSD performace. Also has any one pulled their Cats without using a programmer to fix the check engine lights. Could I just out in the MIL eliminators. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:58 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: MSD Ignition

ORIGINAL: 96GTSMOKER

Will it make a big difference by me switching my COILs and Wires with MSD performace. Also has any one pulled their Cats without using a programmer to fix the check engine lights. Could I just out in the MIL eliminators. Thanks.
Say that again in english.
If you don't mind looking at the CEL then no need to tune for no cats.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:12 AM
96GTSMOKER
1st Gear Member

Sorry was half asleep. Will it hurt my performance that much if my cats have been removed and the O2 sensors are not working properly. Is there a way to make them believe they are still reading the Cats.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:29 AM
pcs
4th Gear Member

yes, just get some mil eliminators. they plug in between the sensor and the factory connection.
should work fine. i ran that set up untill i bought a programmer and eliminated them that way.
as for the coils, not much to gain for a stock set up unless your wire are old and/or your coils are starting to go bad. on my stang, when i switch to msd c.o.p. ones, i didnt notice any hp change, only that the car starts up easier when its really cold outside. it wouldnt hurt to have them and they do allow you to upgrade to an ignition box later on if you descide to get more wild with you mods down the road.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:44 AM
96GTSMOKER
1st Gear Member

My car is not a stock 96 GT. It has a PI swap from a 5.4 lightning that has head work done to it. 75 mm through out. And lower end includes stroked. It did only dyno with the auto matic transmission and Number 5 wire not on the coil at 258.9 HP and 309.7 LBs TQ. The cats are killing me and I need a cold air intake or something. So I was hoping the MSD Ignition set up would help and I am going to cut out my cats and weld in straight pipes, but I did not want my O2 sensors to screw up the way the car runs. Any suggestions is what I was looking for.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

MSD's do nothing... They tune like crap so just save yourself the trouble and buy either ford's or buy Advance's replacements.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:50 AM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 96GTSMOKER

My car is not a stock 96 GT. It has a PI swap from a 5.4 lightning that has head work done to it. 75 mm through out. And lower end includes stroked. It did only dyno with the auto matic transmission and Number 5 wire not on the coil at 258.9 HP and 309.7 LBs TQ. The cats are killing me and I need a cold air intake or something. So I was hoping the MSD Ignition set up would help and I am going to cut out my cats and weld in straight pipes, but I did not want my O2 sensors to screw up the way the car runs. Any suggestions is what I was looking for.
you dyno'd your car without a cyl. ???
Old 06-23-2008, 12:10 PM
96GTSMOKER
1st Gear Member

I did not know at the time I thought I fixed it, but afterwards I reached out and just touched the wire on Number five coil spot and it just fell off. So I do not believe it was firing very good or at all. The wire was green and all rusted looking along with the coil. All the rest looked new and clean. So I am tired of aftermarket cheapos that fall apart and burn up quickly. I am doing no tune. I just want to elimnate the cats and was wondering if anyone else has done it and just put the O2 sensors back in and the car worked beeter or killed it. And should I move to a cold air intake set up. I know MSD is more reliable than most OE replacement parts. It won't make my car faster but I believe it will run better. Now just what plugs I need? LOL
Old 06-23-2008, 02:46 PM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

I wold def. do stock plugs.

The running without cats on the car won't be a prob. you will just have the light on till you get a tuner or mil elims. Another guy on here did it and ran for over a year with the light on. The whole point of the CEL and that sensor is to tell the ecm whether the cats are doing there job. The car won't change in terms of running rough or poorer performance.

CAI is only a minor improvement, might want to take the air silencer off your intake and put a k&n filter in.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:56 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

The rear O2s have nothing what so ever to do with the performance of the car. They read nothing but the a/f ratio after the cats and send the signal to the ecu which compares it to the front O2 sensor readings and figures out if the cats are working or not. If they are not working then the computer turns on the light and goes on about its buisness. It makes no changes at all.

CAI is a giant waste of money.

If your gonna change your wires change to racing wires. Still wont do much but you can tell people you have racing wires