4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

full power to the wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 12:12 AM
the07sniper
1st Gear Member

Default full power to the wheels...

my 99 cobra is supposed to have 320 hp stock. im not stupid, i know thats the hp to the flywheel, but that the amount the wheels actually put out is less, from what everyone says, it around 280 which is signifigantly less. Ive added a few minor mods and dont know what hp level it is at now, but what i want to know is are there any mods that rather than increasing the overall hp, they instead increase the current amount that that goes to the wheels? (meaning if u can get the power to the wheels closer to the amount of power the engine makes)

Thanks
Old 05-02-2005, 12:15 AM
The02GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: full power to the wheels...

Hmmm good question, all i can think of right now is a lightened driveshaft, but that prob wont even help as the stock one is already light.........but you will always lose power throughout the driveterain.....
Old 05-02-2005, 01:17 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Us synthetic oil in your engine and transmission and rear end.... Royal Purpal gets the best hp increase. You will probably get around 5-10hp buy changing all the fluids that that. I would highly recomend changing atleast the differential and transmissions oil seeing that its change so infrequently. But as for the engine oil it gets kind of expensive at around $6-7 per quart. Also I heard that if you used synthetic you cant go back to conventional oil. I dont know if thats a myth or if its true. But get that gear oil its a cheap improvement.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:24 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Aluminum flywheel and driveshaft will help transfer your HP to the wheels better. As far as synthetic fluids giving you 10HP.....uh "no". The % of drivetrain loss will always be there, it is just the way it is. Keep modding.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:33 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Thats not true as the percentage of drivetrain loss. Drivetrain loss is generally between 18-15% I was watching Horspower TV I remember a couple months ago and one of the hosts did a dyno comparision of the regular oil in his 94-98 mustang GT. Then he changed all the oil to royal purpal and experianced an increase of 8 max hp. By replacing the oil it creates less friction which allows more of the horsepower to be put to the wheels.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:37 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: Aixtreme89

Thats not true as the percentage of drivetrain loss. Drivetrain loss is generally between 18-15% I was watching Horspower TV I remember a couple months ago and one of the hosts did a dyno comparision of the regular oil in his 94-98 mustang GT. Then he changed all the oil to royal purpal and experianced an increase of 8 max hp. By replacing the oil it creates less friction which allows more of the horsepower to be put to the wheels.

99+ GT's and Cobras come with synthetic gear oil from the factory. And as far as TV shows and magazines, I put little faith in "most" of their claims. Royal purple is a great product and I take nothing away from them, but they also pay alot of $$ to Hot Rod TV to promote their product. Just my 2 pesos.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:25 PM
the07sniper
1st Gear Member

so basically what everyone is saying is that there is no real way to get the hp to the wheels closer to the hp to the flywheel? so its jsut bettre to keep modding nad let the gap exist...
Old 05-02-2005, 07:07 PM
LuvBottles97GT
2nd Gear Member

You are always gonna lose HP from start to finish( Mototr to Wheels) You can come closer like Code said. But just keep on modding that thing and you'll be happy.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:22 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

the only way to get the horsepower from the flywheel and the wheels to be the same is to move your engine to the back and hook your back tire onto the flywheel. all of those moving parts in the drivetrain take power to move. thus the loss.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:24 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Basicly there is no real way to build HP just for the wheels. Your engine is the powerplant and the only way to get more power to the wheels is to increase the power to the engine. You will lose a certain percentage of HP through the drivetrain. Rule of thumb is usually 10-15% for manuals and 15-20 for Autos.

Quick Reply: full power to the wheels...