4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Looking at a GT...best fuel economy and winter driving??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:26 PM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Looking at a GT...best fuel economy and winter driving??

as far as winter driving goes, my mustang slides around so bad in the rain i wouldnt even want to imagine driving it up north (and that is with 150lbs of audio stuff weighting down the rear end).

i believe if you look in the crash thread, you will see alot of snow in the background of the pics... there is a reason.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:34 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Whats gas mileage?

I got to drive in the snow for the first time with drag radials on while I was home in march. Lets say that didnt go over to well. I used my wifes lightly modded get to go to walmart to get salt (to get my car back in the driveway) and I rode sideways all the way there. Fun for me not for the wife or other drivers
Old 06-23-2008, 07:47 PM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gtstang99

Well, if you want fuel economy and the ability to drive in the winter, you don't want a GT. Sorry, that's the honest truth. If you are very good and it's all highway, you could get maybe 28mpg, but that's pushing it.
i wouldnt agree with that. 6 cylinder mustangs dont really get that much better gas milage (if you can keep your foot out of the GT) and the only possible reason that they would be better on winter roads is because they have less power (again right foot control).

i would rephrase that and say that "youmight not want a rear wheel drive car."
Old 06-23-2008, 08:35 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

lol one time i backed out of my driveway in about 2in of snow during a blizzard to try to get it in the garage. took me a half hour to get it back up my driveway and into my parking spot, i didnt even make a try for the garage. as long as you get the right tires it should do fine, my dad drives his m3 all winter with snow tires.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:40 PM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

i have had 5 mustangs and lived in MO, where there can be bad snow 4" + atleast 3 times a year, and I still drove, cause it was my DD.

My best advice is get good snow tires in the winter put like 200 lbs over the rear axles. Give yourself plenty of driving time and avoid hills and inclines as much as possible...plan,plan,plan your route.
Most important get a good shovel and keep it in your trunk, I got stuck on a few inclines and as long as there is pavement under your car dig through it to the concrete/asphault in front of your rear tires for like 7-8 feet. That will give you enough room to get your speed up before you get on to snow again.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Landcruisin60

Hmm, so winter sounds like a possible no go. But I'm still interested in the best mileage people have gotten. I dont mind driving like an old lady to work and such to get the mileage. But I want the Mustang because like everyone else that owns one, I do like to put my foot to the floor from time to time. Plus they sound awsome and ride real nice!
Old 06-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

ORIGINAL: Landcruisin60

Just got back from looking at a 2002 GT 5 speed manual with 39,000 for $12,000. I think it sounds like a good deal. Comes with a Flowmaster cat back (that sounds wicked) and a K&N CAI. I've tried searching (which is a pain trying to search through Google) and I've seen reports of over 30mpg from some people. I have a 50mile round trip all highway to and from work and I think I am responsible enough to keep my foot off the skinny pedal to maximize fuel economy. So I'm curious what peoples best MPG have been with the 4.6 GT? My other concern is winter driving. I live in VT and I have a Subaru right now so I've been toying with the idea of keeping it only as a winter car, but I'd rather not. How do the Mustangs do in snow? I sometimes have to go out before the plows have been through which is no problem for the Subi and the AWD but how would the Mustang deal with it?

I just test drove it today and boy between the power and the sound I want it, but there are just a few questions that need to be figured out first.

Thanks!

I hope this is in the right place...but I'm a newb so you never know...
Hang on to that Subaru!

I live in New England and my GT hibernates for the winter.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:47 PM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

Hmm, so winter sounds like a possible no go. But I'm still interested in the best mileage people have gotten. I dont mind driving like an old lady to work and such to get the mileage. But I want the Mustang because like everyone else that owns one, I do like to put my foot to the floor from time to time. Plus they sound awsome and ride real nice!
Not sure about the ride...its no cadillac
Old 06-23-2008, 08:49 PM
bullittracr
2nd Gear Member

i drive like i stole the car all the time lol on highway i still get 25 26 or so if that helps
Old 06-23-2008, 08:58 PM
baino
4th Gear Member

Actually I'm trying to get away from Subarus for the most part. I've had the worst service expirience with my dealership and there isnt any other close dealer. Plus STi's only get 20ish highway and they still fetch a high price even used and high miles. So a low miles GT for a good price really gets me thinking. I might just keep the Subi as a winter beater and get the GT for non snow driving.
MostSTI's are rated 17-24mpg which is pretty similar to mustangs yet people on here get 25-28mpg all the time. I understand the price part, but figured if you sell what you got, it would help with a down payment. You would probably be better off finding a good tuner shop than taking it to the dealership if your having problems with them. STI's are pretty popular so you shouldnt have that big a prob finding someone to work on it. Just some food for thought, good luck

Quick Reply: Looking at a GT...best fuel economy and winter driving??