4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Sniper Tuning Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 04:27 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Sniper Tuning Question

Wideband is for air/fuel ratio. You can bump timing 2* at a time and take it for a wot run. Keep doing that until you hear pinging then back it down 2* and timing will be good to go.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:05 PM
mustang289
2nd Gear Member

With this sniper software, it says you will be able to tune 2 cars. However, if I was to buy it not, tune the car, then add say cams later, would I have to buy bullets or could I just go in and change the tune the car already had without having to pay $200 for a bullet.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:09 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It's still going to be the same car after you add cams, whatever. 1 bullet = 1 car, you can tune that car 10,000 times a day until the end of time,on the same bullet, if you care to.[/align]
Old 06-25-2008, 09:18 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

so your saying the sniper is idiot proof right, well when i get the money im think im going to buy one, but are their pretuned tunes in it or do you have to do it all yourself.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:19 PM
mustang289
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

It's still going to be the same car after you add cams, whatever. 1 bullet = 1 car, you can tune that car 10,000 times a day until the end of time,on the same bullet, if you care to.[/align]
Thats what I wanted to hear.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:27 PM
chriswells78
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman03

so your saying the sniper is idiot proof right, well when i get the money im think im going to buy one, but are their pretuned tunes in it or do you have to do it all yourself.
Nothing is 100% idiot proof. If you don't follow the instructions and use common sense like not backing the timing back down 2 degrees when you hear the pinging, you can mess up your stuff. If you take your time, follow the directions and take notes of every change you make. Someone posted a nice log sheet .PDF document on the sniper forums. I have just been using a spiral notebook to track my changes and results on my Explorer. The Mustang is next after I put the x pipe and intake on.

For the record, it's not really a "pretuned" or "canned tune" like some other programmers give you. You use the software, you tell the software what mods you have by using the drop down menusand it formulates a close tune. Then you fine tune it by adjusting spark and fuel at the 3 fuel levels.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:35 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

For the record, it's not really a "pretuned" or "canned tune" like some other programmers give you. You use the software, you tell the software what mods you have by using the drop down menusand it formulates a close tune. Then you fine tune it by adjusting spark and fuel at the 3 fuel levels.
but you dont really have to fine tune it if you dont want to? will the close tune be a safe tune most of the time?
Old 06-25-2008, 09:49 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

yeah when I recieve this I will just answer all the questions and let it formulate my tune. Then later I will set the timing like oxfordgt said. This isfinally all starting to come together I hope.

I know I have to choose my compression ratio. I have no idea what my compression is with these pistons.The car is built for a S/C but I don't have that on right now but I think my compression is lowerthan stock. They are the pistons in my signature.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:51 PM
chriswells78
1st Gear Member

In my case, there was much room for improvement, but I tuned my Explorer 5.0 which is a strange mixed up animal when it comes to the Ford family of motors as well as I put a GT40P engine in where a GT40 engine was and modified the crap out of it. My A/F wasprettylean (~16:1) with the base tune all the way through the RPM range. I was able to make it right with the fine tuning using the wide band.

On a base 4.6 with bolt ons, you should be in decent shape with the base tune. You could go to a dyno and do your fine tuning if you wanted also.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:54 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

What others have said is dead on, the Sniper Special Forces software does not have "canned" tunes, and that is good. Instead a series of dialogs prompt you to enter information about your car, and then a custom tune is built based upon the information you provided.[/align][/align]Once the custom tune has been built you can then tweak it by modifying fuel and timing settings as needed.[/align][/align]Here are some of the dialogs (most all except the slush box stuff):[/align][/align][/align]As to documenting all of this, I have created an application that can gather the settings you have specified and create HTML reports of same, and also reload certain values that Special Forces doesn't save between sessions. You can read more and download the application here, there's also a fix forRecon's improper logging of fuel trim values.[/align]

Quick Reply: Sniper Tuning Question