4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Thinking about removing mufflers, leaving stock H

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:42 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Thinking about removing mufflers, leaving stock H

Yeah at first it'll sound good to youbut you'll get sick of it real fast. Not necessarily the volume but the tone it makes is bad. No mufflers sound bad with the stock h pipe OR an o/r pipe in my opinion.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:57 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: black35th

Dont do it, I had this exact combo (stock H, no muffs) and it sounded like ****. There is no tone to it at all. Get a offroad H or X and call it a day if you dont have that much money.
When I was installing my Magnaflow catback, I took the car for a ride with the entire stock system removed and only the stock H-Pipe on the car.
I can tell you that I agree with the others.
It sounds like crap.
Loud, with no tone at all.

I would say weld in some decent mufflers if you are on a budget.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:45 PM
oldskool04
2nd Gear Member

if u want something loud get an offroad x with the slp loudmouth 1cat pack it will set u back about 600 bucks though
Old 06-26-2008, 10:12 PM
mikemc04gt
2nd Gear Member

I guess I will be the lone ranger here. I have the setup Andy is asking about, stock H with muffler delete. I really like it. Nice deep rumble at idle, good loud rawr under throttle and no drone. I like it as well or better than any Mustang I've heard in person (and I've heard a bunch) and get nothing but compliments. I wouldn't care to spend money if I thought I would get a much better sound.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:19 PM
mikemc04gt
2nd Gear Member

"If you want to hear how bad it sounds..you can see for yourself in about 2 or 3 minutes..just get under the car and undo the 4 bolts that hold the catback to the H. Slip the pipe (from the catback side) Under the H pipe and let er' roar. "... It sounds much better coming all the way out to the tips.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:44 PM
mikemc04gt
2nd Gear Member

Double post
Old 06-27-2008, 12:51 AM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Ive really been thinking about this too. I dont want to spend the money on mufflers, when I have more important places to spend the money. And the youtube videos really do sound good. I might try unbolting it and seeing how it sounds.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:46 AM
mikemc04gt
2nd Gear Member

It will not be obscenely loud bacause of the cats, AND you don't have to re-install your H pipe for every trip to the dealer or inspection lane. What you do get is the classic muscle car rumble and rawr. Me likey. [sm=lildevil.gif]
Old 06-27-2008, 07:58 AM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Believe me or not, i seriously felt like i lost torque when i un bolted the muffler. when i bolted it up, came right back.
I can't believe someone would compliment a mustang with nomufflers, it sounds like a GM. Now, a chambered muffler, with an o/r H..THAT gets compliments.

Theres no 'classic rawr' with no mufflers. It sounds like classic isht. But sound is a matter of personal preference..
Old 06-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikemc04gt

It will not be obscenely loud bacause of the cats, AND you don't have to re-install your H pipe for every trip to the dealer or inspection lane. What you do get is the classic muscle car rumble and rawr. Me likey. [sm=lildevil.gif]
yea i think im gona try it, if not its not like i spent alot of money doing it, how much would a muffler shop charge to remove mufflers add mandrel bent pipe and some tips? Ill keep the mufflers just incase

i dont wanna get an offroad mid pipe with no cats, i jsut dont want horrible smelling exhaust

Quick Reply: Thinking about removing mufflers, leaving stock H