4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Thinking about removing mufflers, leaving stock H

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Default Thinking about removing mufflers, leaving stock H

I want a nice sounding exhaust, stock is decent sounding, quiet but good.. I recently heard some vids of stangs with stock H pipe and straight pipes from that back,, no mufflers , and they sounded good. Would this have any negative affect on horsepower? The video sounds good, but i dont know how loud it would be in real life, how loud would it be with stock H and all cats still in, but no mufflers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlYoduIDBog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvZefq4X2JA

those are the vids, what do u think? Im assumeing it would also be a decent weight reduction also, mabe 40-50 lbs of muffler removed and replaced with mandrel bent pipe and mabe some nice looking exhaust tips.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Thinking about removing mufflers, leaving stock H

I think this is common with the 3v owners. I'll tell you from experience it soundslike utter TRASH. No, it won't be loud at all. Well, then again that depends who you ask, I have a O/R H w/ catback and its not loud for me It'll sound a little louder, about as loud as a car with a catback.
If you want to hear how bad it sounds..you can see for yourself in about 2 or 3 minutes..just get under the car and undo the 4 bolts that hold the catback to the H. Slip the pipe (from the catback side) Under the H pipe and let er' roar.
At first you'll be like 'ohh sweet'..then your going to drive it.. and your gonna be like its iight.. then your gonna wake up the next day and start it up, you'll be like..meh..then you'll drive it and you'll be like dang, this sounds like trash.
It makes your ford sound even worse than a GM
Old 06-26-2008, 05:22 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Don't do it[&:]
Old 06-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

what do u suggest, flowmasters? also wouldnt it be alot of weight reduction? 50lbs is alot , not sure how much the mufflers weigh
Old 06-26-2008, 05:38 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

If you want to go cheap, keep your stock catback and bolt on an off-road X-pipe. It will sound good.You can always put your catted H back on when you have emissions.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

No, flowmasters drone and everyone has them. Get something else
Old 06-26-2008, 06:35 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Yes, Flowmasters drone, but with a stock H, it isn't that bad. And everybody has flowmaster's because they sound good
Old 06-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

I dont care if they sound good, every mustang sounds good.
The drone isn't that bad? Flows make my ears B.l.e.e.D. I can seriously imagine blood shooting out of my ears when i ride in my friends car, and i'm the kinda guy who wants his mustangs loud. Heck, i'm not even happy with ano/r H, if i knew of a way to make iteven louder, i would.I don't even know what the guys over at flowmaster were thinking when they did something like this. Flows also have shoddy welds inside the muffler, i've seen many videos of this on youtube. IMO, every chambered muffler on the market sounds better than flowmasters and have a lot less drone.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

IMO, the vids i posted sound really good, but its a vid like i said, i donno in real life. although i like the sound of the vids i posted more than any exhaust clips i have heeard so far.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:14 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Dont do it, I had this exact combo (stock H, no muffs) and it sounded like ****. There is no tone to it at all. Get a offroad H or X and call it a day if you dont have that much money.

Quick Reply: Thinking about removing mufflers, leaving stock H