4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Sparkplug shot out of my head!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Default Sparkplug shot out of my head!

Hello All,
I just got back home form the Caribbean late Saturday and took the stang out Sundayfor a drive. 15mins into the drive, I heard a bang and then a lot of popping coming from underneath the hood. I figured it might have been a coil plug, but soon found out that the #6sparkplug had ripped all the threading out of the head and shot up and destroyed the coil pack.

Anyways from everythingI thatI have read on this website, I am not sure whatto do. It seems like a helicoil is the cheap way out, but could endup destroying theengine if not done right. I would like to put a new head on and throw on some stage 2 cams whileI am at it. However, my friend (a cop) went to the servicegarage whereall the police cars (crown vics) are worked on and got a kit from the mechanics that supposedlyFord made to fix this problem. Has any one used it or heard of it? Supposedly Snap-On sells the kit, butI have never heard of it. It does require me to drill out the sparkplug hole,tap it, and then insert a metal sleeve with some JB weld on it. Is this a helicoil? or is this something different? The mechanics saidthere is no wayfor clearance issues between the piston andspark plug, and that it should only take 25 - 30 mins to fix.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:21 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Default RE: Sparkplug shot out of my head!

ORIGINAL: Stangatic

Hello All,
I just got back home form the Caribbean late Saturday and took the stang out Sundayfor a drive. 15mins into the drive, I heard a bang and then a lot of popping coming from underneath the hood. I figured it might have been a coil plug, but soon found out that the #6sparkplug had ripped all the threading out of the head and shot up and destroyed the coil pack.

Anyways from everythingI thatI have read on this website, I am not sure whatto do. It seems like a helicoil is the cheap way out, but could endup destroying theengine if not done right. I would like to put a new head on and through on some stage 2 cams whileI am at it. However, my friend (a cop) went to the servicegarage whereall the police cars (crown vics) are worked on and got a kit from the mechanics that supposedlyFord made to fix this problem. Has any one used it or heard of it? Supposedly Snap-On sells the kit, butI have never heard of it. It does require me to drill out the sparkplug hole,tap it, and then insert a metal sleeve with some JB weld on it. Is this a helicoil? or is this something different? The mechanics saidthere is no wayfor clearance issues between the piston andspark plug, and that it should only take 25 - 30 mins to fix.
First off, let me welcome you to the official club, we've been awaiting your arrival for quite some time now, and are honored that you have finially been allowed to join us.

Next we'll go through some brief steps you can take to fix your car.
First is the helicoil. A generic helicoil by definition requires nothing more than tapping out the old threads, screwing the helicoil in, and hoping to God that it not only sticks, does not unwrap itself, and that whoever does the work puts it in correctly.

Your second option, and likely the one that you will try involves the threaded insert/sleeve. Much like the first option, the hole will be tapped out slightly larger than it was and an actual insert, with the new grooves on the inside, will be inserted into the hole. After getting it to the right depth, you'll probably be required to put a piece of metal down into the hole that will expand the teeth of the insert with the goal of them biting into, and staying place in the aluminum inside the head.

Your final option, and the one that I myself had to perform, was replacing the head. Hours of bonding time between you and your car lie ahead if this indeed is your path to happiness. Despite what any Ford mechanic will tell you, as well as some others here on the forums, this job is one that CAN and WILL be completed by an amateur mechanic who uses two things; patience, and thoughtfullness.

In regards to the bold. Umm....yea, things CAN indeed go wrong. We did the threaded insert on my car, the insert went a fraction too deep, and after about two thousand miles, I developed a small miss and eventually had piston to spark plug contact. This didnt send the plug shooting out, but instead just mashed in the head of the spark plug closing the gap and making the car run like a pissy vag.

Again, let me congratulate you on your entry into our elite organization, and good luck with your choice, whatever it may be.

Sincerely,

Clint
72MachOne99GT

P.S. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me, or anyone else who may be in the club.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:28 PM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

im pretty sure this is supposed to be the only one reccomended by ford.

http://www.timesert.com/html/ford_sparkplug_faq.html
Old 06-30-2008, 01:35 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

What I used was VERY similar to the second option I believe.

Still did not quite do the job 100%.

Stay positive, but don't be too discouraged if you end up having to remove the head.
#6 is on the driver side though, that sucks.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:35 PM
stangy2004

that happened to my buddys lightning they helicoiled it works fine
Old 06-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Thanks everyone!

72MachOne99GTI have read a few of your posting before on this but couldn't find them due to the search tool being down. I am going to try option #2 for now. But orginally wanted to put new heads on the car. I will let you know how it goes!

Thanks again!
Old 06-30-2008, 04:12 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

weve done em at work with a kit that sounds like the one your talking about... its like a helicoil, but thicker/stronger... yup, drilled/tapped the head and inserted this thing... blah blah blah... havent had any issues with them yet

and no we didnt pull the heads off either
Old 06-30-2008, 06:26 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

Iv'e been using a new style that came out recently. It uses the three valve spark plug. Comes with a threaded insert that you install. once you install it start the car blow the metal out the best you can. then install the spark plug. And it comes with a shorter coil boot to fit the coil back on . ill try to find out were you can get it.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:31 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

here's a link to it http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...spagenameZWD1V

we use it all the time and never had any issue with it.