MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   coil pack or plug wire?? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/459940-coil-pack-or-plug-wire.html)

my77stang 07-02-2008 09:29 PM

coil pack or plug wire??

i have a 4.6 no-pi boat anchor in my 94 lincoln town car and it has 2 coils packs. a few times in the past couple weeks when i accelerate its kinda dogish and has like half the power it should first i was thinking maybe a clogged fuel filter (checked air cleaner and it still looks new), but the other day i had to jump a car and while i was under the hood i heard what sounded like a wire grounding out (zap-zap-zap) when i revved the motor but i didnt hear anything @ idle. it sounded like it was coming from the passenger side coil pack, so i looked at all the boots real closely and saw nothing.

today i go out there and spray water on the coil, start it up and rev it and i hear nothing - so i go to drive down the road and its sluggish off the line again. also, seems worse when the car is still cold for some reason, not that that makes much sense.

so my question is, can coil packs ground out internally and work intermittantly or is it always a cut and dry work or not work situation.

the wires say belden (napa) so i know they arent original, the car is 14 years old but only has like 60k miles on it so the wires cant possibly have too many miles on them.

blackstallion666 07-02-2008 10:17 PM

RE: coil pack or plug wire??

is it misfiring or just being a dog?

black35th 07-02-2008 10:24 PM

I would almost throw my guess on a dirty/faulty MAF sensor if it doesnt have a miss....

my77stang 07-03-2008 07:09 AM

yeah i wouldnt quite call it a miss, more like serious hesitation.... although i did hear it POP once out the exhaust

black35th 07-03-2008 07:45 AM

Has it thrown a SES light?

my77stang 07-04-2008 09:00 AM

no, but then again i remember once way back i got a light and they couldnt pull a reading from the car, it was really wierd.

black35th 07-04-2008 09:11 AM

I would probably start by cleaning your MAF sensor, you can go to the store and get a can of "electronics cleaner". It should be in an aresol can.

96GT226410 07-04-2008 09:22 AM

How did your plug wire ends look? If you head the spark arcing then at least throw plugs, wires, and coil packs on. A dirty MAF sensor would not cause spark arcing.

black35th 07-04-2008 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: 96GT226410

How did your plug wire ends look? If you head the spark arcing then at least throw plugs, wires, and coil packs on. A dirty MAF sensor would not cause spark arcing.
True, but he said that he went out and sprayed water on it and started it, and it didnt do it. Plus the fact that he said it's worse when its cold out, arcing can and will occur at any temperature.

If the coil packs/wires/plugs were bad, he would have a definate miss, although I cant explain the "zap-zap-zap". His problem is more of a severe hesitation rather than a miss.

If your MAF sensor is dirty it will cause a severe hesitation, and when its cold it will be alot worse.

96GT226410 07-04-2008 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: black35th

ORIGINAL: 96GT226410

True, but he said that he went out and sprayed water on it and started it, and it didnt do it. Plus the fact that he said it's worse when its cold out, arcing can and will occur at any temperature.

If the coil packs/wires/plugs were bad, he would have a definate miss, although I cant explain the "zap-zap-zap". His problem is more of a severe hesitation rather than a miss.

If your MAF sensor is dirty it will cause a severe hesitation, and when its cold it will be alot worse.

Spark arcing can be intermittent, too. I've seen it. If his MAF was dirty, a hesitation could occur, but will most likely have different problems such as a long crank time and an intermitten no start.