4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Noise-tranny mount-help??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 01:17 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Default Noise-tranny mount-help??

OK i posted a while ago about a clanking noise i hear coming from the center of the car(transmission). It happensevery timei put it into gear and let out the clutch. It doesnt matter how slow i let it out, as soon as the clutch grabs, clunk, and i start moving. Also, if i downshift, and let out the clutch(slowing down with the motor) it makes the same noise. I thought it could be the transmission mount, but i replaced it with an aftermarket one from summit, and it didnt seem to help much. It seemed to deaden the noise a tiny bit, but not much. I unfortunately dont know if this has been doing it the whole time ive had the car(4months)and ive just never noticed it, or if it just started. When i have the front of the car up on stands, and i crawl underneath i can move the driveshaft with my hands a small amount. But, i noticed when i move it hard and fast, it makes the exact sound i have been hearing all along.The u-joints appear tight, as thewhole shaft assembly from the output shaft of the tranny, to the input at the rearend, all move together to make the clank. If i had to guess, id say it moves maybe1/16th or 1/8 of a turn before clanking. Is there something wrong or is this relatively normal? Im just worried i will have damge to the tranny. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Devon
Old 07-04-2008, 07:18 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Noise-tranny mount-help??

Come on guys,..anyone?
Old 07-04-2008, 07:27 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

I bought my car and thought the same thing..oh no whats wrong with the tranny...got under it and turned the driveshaft and it moves the same amount...from what ive read its just the sloppy mustang drivetrain clanking around..it does it all the time..at first it was annoying but im getting used to it..
Old 07-05-2008, 01:11 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

i hope so,..i am so nervous tat something is wrong with it.