4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Launching my DR's on stock axles.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:17 AM
NotStok
3rd Gear Member

Default Launching my DR's on stock axles.

So I recently tracked down a pair of brand new 315/35/17 BFG DR's out of sheer luck and I'm pretty much in love. They hook like a dream on the street, but I'm hitting the track soon and i'm kinda worried about my axles.

Am I gonna be safe for a couple of real hard launches a month on the track? Or should I just keep slipping the clutch like i'm used to until I upgrade to a 31 spline setup?

Old 07-05-2008, 01:37 AM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Launching my DR's on stock axles.

I truly believe ford makes a good diffrential. Just remember your playing with fire..depending on how many miles on the diff, and how it's been maintained, i believe it can take quite a number of hard launches on drag radials. I'd start saving for a 31 spline while i'm having fun though.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:38 AM
Trob
1st Gear Member

you should be fine for a while.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:42 AM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Or you could buy nittos.. EVeryody says they hook like trash..and for a drag radial they do. But they'll grip just fine for your application (assuming you've got a lightly modified Mach) With nittos, you'll probablyneed to slip it to get off the line too if you don't want to spin real bad.

Last I checked, the MACH 1 has a solid rear axle, right? It should be able to take a good beating..for a while
Old 07-05-2008, 01:43 AM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

the dif is not what to worry about... its the axles... some peoples last ok, but i have heard of a few cars that will break on drag radials.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:49 AM
NotStok
3rd Gear Member

It's definitely a solid axle car. The car just turned 56k miles this week, with only other mods being a Pypes O/R X and a Mac catback. And I never really launch the car unless i'm on the track. I guess we'll see what happens when I get a chance to run this thing later this month, haha. Hopefully I don't get towed home after 2 passes!

Old 07-05-2008, 07:23 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Rob broke his on low profile M/T's
Old 07-05-2008, 07:31 AM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jbauer

Or you could buy nittos.. EVeryody says they hook like trash..and for a drag radial they do. But they'll grip just fine for your application (assuming you've got a lightly modified Mach) With nittos, you'll probablyneed to slip it to get off the line too if you don't want to spin real bad.

Last I checked, the MACH 1 has a solid rear axle, right? It should be able to take a good beating..for a while
WTF?? Why the heck would he buy them then?

stock axles on a stock engine with DR's will be fine if your not clutch dropping at 5k every time. Slicks are the killers of stock axles. I would think your clutch packs will burn out first unless the Mach has carbon discs in the differential like the 03/04 cobra's.??????
Old 07-05-2008, 08:02 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

You will get a better 60 foot by slipping the clutch no matter if you have stock axels or the 31 splines. Dumping the clutch just shocks the tire and a DR will not it and will spin. High rpm, fast clutch slip is the way to go.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:05 AM
NotStok
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

Rob broke his on low profile M/T's
Damnit.[:'(]

And JD, i'll keep that technique in mind. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Launching my DR's on stock axles.