4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New to forums.. got a few q's...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Iwant1

Default New to forums.. got a few q's...

ok im not sure if i am in the right area... but here is the story i posted in the SW forum...

Hello all, i am new to the fourm b/c i am looking to buy a mustang some day but i have heard lots of bad things about them. I currently own a 01 VW Jetta 1.8turbo and like it, but i have had 8 or 9 check engine lights come on in less then a yr of ownership. Now i am getting really sick of it so i am looking to trade it in on a mustang(01-03). the reason i am only looking for an 01-03 is i need to keep my payments around 250-275... so you get the point.

Anyways, im on the VWVortex fourms all the time and have made many threads about buying a mustang and they all have nothing but bad to say about them. There is a ford teck for Jim Click ford of that website that drives a VW and says he wouldnt own a mustang if you paid him. He says that is why he words for Ford is b/c the job will always be there b/c fords always break down...

Is there really anything to worry about when buying a mustang that i should know about before i get real serious about buying one?

Here is what one person just told me this morning about a mustang...
"Good luck with the mustang.. more creeks and rattles than you will ever here in any VW. every seal on the motor and tranny will have leakage or seepage, the interior will literally fall apart around you .. but hey- it's fast in a straight line right.. This poor bastard in my plaza has his 01 in for repair about once a month- He was talking about how he spends more in repair than he does on his payment"
This is what scares me....

Please help me.
Thanks
Clint
Old 05-04-2005, 02:47 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default RE: New to forums.. got a few q's...

er...um...I mean they own cars from a manfacturer that has a "Bug" in their line of vehicles.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Iwant1

well that really didnt answer my question... are the rumors true?
Old 05-04-2005, 03:05 PM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

Well I think that they do not know what they are talking about. this is my second mustang, My first was a 89' lx 5.0 that I put 140k on it in 4 years and ran great (when I sold it it had 185k on it, still running strong). All I ever did was the typical mant. (oil, oil filter, air filter, ect.) To this day it was the best car that I have owned, and that is why I purchased another one. Of course you are going to hear of someone's friend of a friend that had one and all he had was problems with it. I love mine and would defently buy another one after this one, but plan on keeping this one for a while. Hope this helps, BTW I do see a whole lot more mustangs on the roads that I do VW's, and Chevy no longer makes cameros (sp) so that says something about the mustang.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:06 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

at least you won't catch ghey from a mustang like you can with a vw. Also, I've had no probs with my GT and it's got 42K miles on it since Jan. of 02. It's got a few squeaks, but it's a solid car. Also, the stangs don't feel like tin cans around town like euro and japanese cars do. I don't care what the gov't says about crash tests, or crumple zones, a heavy car is gonna be better in a wreck than a japanese car. Anybody who owns a non-american car will say that they will fall apart, but that's leftover BS from the 80s.
s.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:09 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

lemme clarify, I've got two rattles / squeaks. One is the trim around the a/c and radio panel, which vibrates a little when I bump the stock stereo (which is surprisingly good for stock), and the seatbelt holder things (right behind the seat above your shoulders) squeak a little around bumps and during hard acceleration. I think I could fix it with a little lube, but my gf used it all last night. j/k. I'm just too damn lazy to lube it up.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:09 PM
LuvBottles97GT
2nd Gear Member

Well he abviously BEATS THE HELL out of his car. I have had my stang since 03 and i have only had the trans replaced and that is cause of my friend driving it at the track. He blew the syncros in 2nd and 3rd. Fox bodies have a lot of problems from seeing some of my budies, but not SN95's!!
Old 05-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Iwant1

some good feed back, thanks!! i still would like a little more reinsurance... but this is helping!!
Old 05-04-2005, 03:20 PM
2004 GT RagTop
3rd Gear Member

Get the Stang, treat it well, it will treat you well.

End of story.

(Love my Stang, none of the problems except a couple "rattles" which I already got used to and don't recognize anymore unless I want to)
Old 05-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Iwant1

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...711&aff=tucson

This is the car i was looking at...

Quick Reply: New to forums.. got a few q's...