4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

tt gt

Old 07-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: tt gt

ORIGINAL: spetsnaz103

ok so i need some help into makn my 03 gt handle a twin turbo setup. i currently have a gt with bolt ons. my friend does custom turbos so y not my stang. i want the engine 2 handle mo than 450. what do i have to do? forged internals? what kind of products. i do not want 2 do a lot 2 da engine exce[t cams, rods, pistons, forged crank, and possibly an upgraded intake mainfold. like i said da engine has to handle mo dan 450
The stock 2v crank is good till around 500hp and under 7000rpm... although, I have not known anyone to break a stock crank, forged or not revving around 6500. Cobra crank will work in a 2v with no issues. The stock rods and pistons are actually heated and compressed powder. If you've ever seen them giveway then you know what I'm talking about.

The Best Bang for your buck would be PROBE pistons and Hawk rods. Unless you've had lots of experience building motors, have a machine shop assemble the short block. For a good High Horsepower under 700hp Manley H beam rods and Diamond & JE pistons are really good but cost a bit more.

Do your research first. Your good on a stock bottom end till about 400rwhp with an average tune. The key is not to detonate. If YOU do then BOOM!

If you can get an aluminum block for the build then you can save a lot of weight.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:05 AM
spetsnaz103
1st Gear Member

aluminum block will cost a lot. plus my friend will be doing everything hes done this plenty of times just never on a mustang. all im worried about is the engine going boom.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

If you can afford forged bottom end then do it. The block itself is good for more HP then you'll ever make.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:17 PM
redstanger
3rd Gear Member

our transmission is just as strong as a modified t56. with some work. if your going turbos leave the stock gearing alone because the longer your in boost the better.

If you use a cobra crank in a GT block you have to make clearance for the center balances of the new crank. GT's only have it on front and back while a cobra one has front back and middle hence the reason they rev to 7,000rpm or more.

FORGED IT OR BILLET IT
Old 07-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Allen2001GT

don't know if anyone has said this, but for one do not use the 4:10 gear ratioyour turbos will be useless with it. i'm running a 3:55 set now and they seem to be the best. depending on what turbos you go with obviously that may play with the gearing a bit however, i did run my stock 3:27's for almost awhole year upuntilthree weeks ago. i've been running 400hp for over a year now with a single turbo at 7lbs of boost and have not had any issues. i am however, going back to the dyno in a few weeks and going to up the ante. my tranny held up fine for awhile and i've since only replaced the clutch obviously to upgrade to a spec. if you want to go anywhere near the 500hp range i'd definitely look at getting a build motor or building your's up.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

7lbs on a single turbo and at 400hp? I wanna know what turbo you're using, mods and see the Dyno sheet on that.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Allen2001GT

sounds good. definitely will show you just have to get another copy of the dyno sheet. i was running out of fuel on the dyno. turbo is masterpower 70mm, stock motor, 42lb injectors, lincoln aviator fuel pump. homemade kit. 7lb spring on turbosmart wastegate, no boost controller. what else you want to know?

oh and i guess you haven't been on the turbo forums much? formerly known as turbomustangs.com tons of guys doing it over there.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:40 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dimebag

jesus ****in christ dude... english much? lets learn to use words when we type... ****

then ill be glad to help
y cant u jus answer da kwestion hes not lookn 4 2 much jus a lil help so he 2 can be lyk sum of us and mayk some mad powr wood dat be askn 4 2 much 4 u 2 help him out b cuz da rest of us wantz 2 no 2

Old 07-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Allen2001GT

don't know if anyone has said this, but for one do not use the 4:10 gear ratioyour turbos will be useless with it. i'm running a 3:55 set now and they seem to be the best. depending on what turbos you go with obviously that may play with the gearing a bit however, i did run my stock 3:27's for almost awhole year upuntilthree weeks ago. i've been running 400hp for over a year now with a single turbo at 7lbs of boost and have not had any issues. i am however, going back to the dyno in a few weeks and going to up the ante. my tranny held up fine for awhile and i've since only replaced the clutch obviously to upgrade to a spec. if you want to go anywhere near the 500hp range i'd definitely look at getting a build motor or building your's up.
so 3:73 gears would be bad for a turbo ? thats what Im planning to run with my build.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Allen2001GT

sounds good. definitely will show you just have to get another copy of the dyno sheet. i was running out of fuel on the dyno. turbo is masterpower 70mm, stock motor, 42lb injectors, lincoln aviator fuel pump. homemade kit. 7lb spring on turbosmart wastegate, no boost controller. what else you want to know?

oh and i guess you haven't been on the turbo forums much? formerly known as turbomustangs.com tons of guys doing it over there.
I wasn't a call out buddy, just skepticism. I'd be happy to see your dyno and list of mods and be happy be shown the light.

Search this Thread