4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cutting my coils to drop the stang

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 03:20 PM
96GTMustangCT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cutting my coils to drop the stang

so if i go with the sportline kit, i just need a bumpsteer kit as well and i should beall set.as i already have aftermarket CC Plates. Is this correct redstanger? With the steeda kit i have now lowered about 1.25" their is no bumpsteer kit, i talked to the family friend and mechanic i bought it from and he said he just installed struts, shocks, and the steeda kit along with the CC Plates and thats it and everything is perfectly fine.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:22 PM
johnr2001gt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redstanger

johnr2001gt

you lower'd your car and didnt have caster camber plates? 2inches. na your full of s hit its running out your ears. your tires have got the top angled in. I did mine an inch and factory camber caster plates can only handle an inch of drop. mine was still off after i got alignment done because the factory ones can only move toward the fender so much.if you want to hibilly stuff do it. If you want to do it the right way/professional way to MAKE SURE the alignment is right and the geometry of the front suspension is right do what i told you.
look I have nothing to gain by making it up I dont care what youbelieve keep your smartass comments to yourself thats the problem with this sight now people like you who think they know it all. I can take pictures from every angle to prove it as well and under the hood.

I also said each case is different on my sons 98 we dropped it 1.5" and had to put caster and camber plates on it to correct the negative camber. so run that out your ears and grow the f- up
Old 07-10-2008, 04:36 PM
johnr2001gt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 96GTMustangCT

johnr did you cut your springs or was this with a kit?
bought 2" lowering springs

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...t/DSC00022.jpg
Old 07-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bb816331

Is a TERRIBLE idea! It's unsafe, and if done incorrectly can really affect the car. Do it the smart way, unless you want to spend more money down the road. Keep in mind cutting them weakens them. Plus, i doubt you could cut each spring 100% equal.
Wrong. Cutting springs is completely fine. Cutting them does NOT weaken them at all. Also, as long as they are almost exactly the same, the car will sit even. It's not that hard to do.

Note this is stock springs I'm talking about. It doesn't effect them since they aren't progressive rate springs.

Stop listening to all the hearsay bull**** and get some real facts.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:14 PM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Xemeth

Is a TERRIBLE idea! It's unsafe, and if done incorrectly can really affect the car. Do it the smart way, unless you want to spend more money down the road. Keep in mind cutting them weakens them. Plus, i doubt you could cut each spring 100% equal.
Wrong. Cutting springs is completely fine. Cutting them does NOT weaken them at all. Also, as long as they are almost exactly the same, the car will sit even. It's not that hard to do.

Note this is stock springs I'm talking about. It doesn't effect them since they aren't progressive rate springs.

doesn't the op have progressive springs and isn't talking about cutting his stock ones...cutting the stock ones are fine, but it is a bad idea to cut aftermarket progressive springs

Old 07-10-2008, 06:46 PM
johnr2001gt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: steve0914

ORIGINAL: Xemeth

doesn't the op have progressive springs and isn't talking about cutting his stock ones...cutting the stock ones are fine, but it is a bad idea to cut aftermarket progressive springs

thats a very good point dont want to cut the aftermarket ones
Old 07-10-2008, 07:15 PM
96GTMustangCT
2nd Gear Member

whats up everyone. i appreciate all the help. i think the route im gonna go is get the eibach sportline. hopefully that will sit low enough. i think im gonna leave the struts and shocks alone as they are in fine shape and were changes when the steeda spring kit was put on. I have CC Plates. My only question left is, do i need a bumpsteer kit, and how bad of an idea is it to leave the struts and shocks that are on it now?? they are tokicos
Old 07-10-2008, 07:39 PM
johnr2001gt
2nd Gear Member

your shocks and struts will be fine may just not last as long as they should. if you go 2" on the drop later on down the road just put some shorter ones on. good luck in which ever route you take.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:51 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

you have any pics of the car with the steeda springs?
Old 07-10-2008, 09:28 PM
96GTMustangCT
2nd Gear Member

[IMG]local://upfiles/67327/D62780FAFB7C4322A7E02D1FCAB393AC.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Cutting my coils to drop the stang