This is not another "LTs" vs "shorties" thread - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #11  
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: This is not another "LTs" vs "shorties" thread

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Quote:
ORIGINAL: H0SS302

if your gonna get shorties get something with a little more rep. i would just get the 300 bbk shorties..

and youll thank yourself for buying shorties if u ever get a centrifugal blower
why? LTs should have no negative side effects whatsoever, with or without a centri blower. I have had no issues with my SQ and the BBK LTs....

And not to **** you off intentionally OP, but why spend money on something that will have almost no positive effect on your car? If you don't want LTs, that doesnt mean you have to waste your money on shorties to gain no power....
see if you can go to a dyno day around your area. if someone has the same setup with lts and shorties youll see what i mean. the shorties get a little more power up top than the lts. thats all i was saying with that comment
H0SS302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #12  
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

if your gonna get shorties get something with a little more rep. i would just get the 300 bbk shorties..

why? LTs should have no negative side effects whatsoever, with or without a centri blower. I have had no issues with my SQ and the BBK LTs....

And not to **** you off intentionally OP, but why spend money on something that will have almost no positive effect on your car? If you don't want LTs, that doesnt mean you have to waste your money on shorties to gain no power....
see if you can go to a dyno day around your area. if someone has the same setup with lts and shorties youll see what i mean. the shorties get a little more power up top than the lts. thats all i was saying with that comment
There is simply no way, no how, that equallength LTs are going to give up anything at any point in the powerband to a set of unequal length (that is to say, any shortie available to our cars) shorties.

This has been proven time and time and time again, with numerous back to back dynos, not onlyby members of MF but the almight dynotesters, MM&FF. Using 2 different cars with similar mods other than the LTs/shorties is simply not a good comparasion, as too many other factors (such as timing, invidiual parts, and the nature of the beast) will contribute to different power levels.

In short, LTs > shorties in every way. Shorties will pick up virtually nothing on a boltons only car, and very little on a stock motor FI one. The stock manifolds simply are not that restrictive for simple pipe size/shape compared to shorties that are available, the real gains to be had are in equalising the lengths of the primarys so you improve scavanging.

Considering that I made 420 WHP on very mild timing/AF ratios, a N/A cam, and a stock 3.60 vortech 8 PSI pulley, I don't think it can be argued that LTs are giving up anything anywhere in the powerband.
2000GT4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:24 PM   #13  
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There is simply no way, no how, that equal length LTs are going to give up anything at any point in the powerband to a set of unequal length (that is to say, any shortie available to our cars) shorties.

This has been proven time and time and time again, with numerous back to back dynos, not only by members of MF but the almight dyno testers, MM&FF. Using 2 different cars with similar mods other than the LTs/shorties is simply not a good comparasion, as too many other factors (such as timing, invidiual parts, and the nature of the beast) will contribute to different power levels.

In short, LTs > shorties in every way. Shorties will pick up virtually nothing on a boltons only car, and very little on a stock motor FI one. The stock manifolds simply are not that restrictive for simple pipe size/shape compared to shorties that are available, the real gains to be had are in equalising the lengths of the primarys so you improve scavanging.

Considering that I made 420 WHP on very mild timing/AF ratios, a N/A cam, and a stock 3.60 vortech 8 PSI pulley, I don't think it can be argued that LTs are giving up anything anywhere in the powerband.
well.. w/e man.. iv seen it with my own eyes.. i dont know what to tell yea. i mean damn dude nakai or w/e his name is only picked up 9 RWHP from a fully built car.. lts are not the end all b all header.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:35 PM   #14  
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There is simply no way, no how, that equal length LTs are going to give up anything at any point in the powerband to a set of unequal length (that is to say, any shortie available to our cars) shorties.

This has been proven time and time and time again, with numerous back to back dynos, not only by members of MF but the almight dyno testers, MM&FF. Using 2 different cars with similar mods other than the LTs/shorties is simply not a good comparasion, as too many other factors (such as timing, invidiual parts, and the nature of the beast) will contribute to different power levels.

well.. w/e man.. iv seen it with my own eyes.. i dont know what to tell yea. i mean damn dude nakai or w/e his name is only picked up 9 RWHP from a fully built car.. lts are not the end all b all header.
I am not saying that either one is really a impressive or great gain, although I have always been confused about his results, as time and time again i have seen better results than that on mild bolton only cars.

Really, either way they aren't a great big gain, but shorties will gain virtually nothing on a N/A car, adn very little on a FI one. MM&FF have done more back to back to back header dyno tests than you can shake a stick at, do a little searching on their website.

I guess what I am saying is, I have never ever seen shorties outperfom LTs in any way, with any setup, but I have seen over and over again back to back dynos showing LTs coming out well on top.

Its all about the equal legnth and scavanging, the diameter/flow of the pipes really has little to do with it. Scavanging ftw!
2000GT4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #15  
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

eh

I am not saying that either one is really a impressive or great gain, although I have always been confused about his results, as time and time again i have seen better results than that on mild bolton only cars.

Really, either way they aren't a great big gain, but shorties will gain virtually nothing on a N/A car, adn very little on a FI one. MM&FF have done more back to back to back header dyno tests than you can shake a stick at, do a little searching on their website.

I guess what I am saying is, I have never ever seen shorties outperfom LTs in any way, with any setup, but I have seen over and over again back to back dynos showing LTs coming out well on top.

Its all about the equal legnth and scavanging, the diameter/flow of the pipes really has little to do with it. Scavanging ftw!
lol ehh well agree to disagree
[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

all i can say is from what i saw the shories gave a bit more top end(both cars could spin past 6500, both 2v) but your right there are a ton of variables that can come into play
Old 07-15-2008, 09:49 PM   #16  
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

LT's give more power. That's the only way they're better than shortys. And I've seen shortys give decent power. I don't see why everyone thinks they're pointless. There's a lot that come into having LT's that not everyone thinks about. Ground clearance issues, clutch and/or throwout bearing replacement, starter replacement, taking the trans out for whatever reason, new mid pipe is needed, and the total cost of the actual LT's. LT's are overrated and they're just not for everyone.
96GT226410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:31 PM   #17  
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Okay, this thread is once again going down the road I did not wish it to. The title was and is: "This is not another LTs vs Shorties Thread. Man, but I knew I was opening that can of worms.

Anyway, I received my reply from the seller on ebay. No real surprises here!

"these are ceramics color, not sure sorry , 1/4 inches we got these from over sea we just sell them"

So, we still do not know if they are ceramic coated or colored. Me thinks painted. Probably hi temp appliance junk. And 1/4 inch flanges are not all the rage with us, now are they?

Verdict: JUNK, plain and simple. If anyone else asks about seeing these on ebay, we can now spare them the pain of wondering, "what if..."

Case closed
04BlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote