4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

to good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 04:57 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: to good to be true?

Drilled and slotted rotors are 1950s tech. and are obsolete unless you are useing brake pads from the 1950s. The only reason to buy them now is for looks.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:25 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Not to sound off cue, but is that why they still use them on things like Porsche, Ferarri, and even a large portion of Road race cars??

JT
Old 07-16-2008, 10:48 AM
califas_1987
3rd Gear Member

What exactly do Drilled & Slotted do for your braking? It's actually less contact area and hence less friction. Sure they increase surface area and more heat is desipitated, but how hot do your rotors get that the upgrade is deemed necessary?

If anything I would say to upgrade the size for more of an increase in stopping power, and then go with drilled or slotted for better looks.

The ones on the link actually look great. I would jump on them and call it a very sharp apperance mod. Oh... and paint the calipers while your at it, that will really help them stand out.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:12 AM
1sloblckgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RuffCat

ORIGINAL: H0SS302

drilled nd slotted really are hiped up IMO... all u need is a nice slotted rotor to vent some gas. i really dont think your gonna see much of any improvements from this. i didnt see any measurments of the rotors.. which means they are still stock size proble.. i would venture to guess u would get better response out of some ss brake lines(like 69 bucks from american muscle) and maybe some hawk pads. you would spend about the same money for WAY more stopping response
I disagree! Yes those rotors are cheaper and they do not have zinc coating so they will rust rather quickly. However, I know from experience that drilled/slotted rotors are much better than stock rotors and are better than just slotted. They won't last quite as long as slotted only, but they will provide much better braking without any fading! I "would venture to guess" that you put 2 cars side by side, one with SS lines and other with rubber lines, you'll never be able to tell the difference. They are what's hyped up. Not saying they don't help, but the amount they expand is so minimal your foot cannot feel it, especially if you have drilled/slotted brakes anyways. The difference with upgraded rotors is tremendous and is well worth the upgrade.
Actually my friend, You are wrong. The drilled and slotted rotors are weaker than a solid rotor. Yes, they desipate more heat but still they are weaker. I have slotted rotors on my car and could not tell a difference. But I like the looks of them, and I got a good deal. SS brake lines would be your best bet. You dont think I rubber brake line is going to expand?? Not exactly sure where you get that idea but especially for an older car like mine (98). I was actually surprised to see them hold up as long as they did. As much heating and cooling, heating and cooling, expanding and contracting as they have been through its amazing. Thats why they were replaced with SS and there was a VERY significant pedal difference as well as stopping distance when I didnt have to push the pedal through the radiator.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:20 AM
1sloblckgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RuffCat

I disagree! Yes those rotors are cheaper and they do not have zinc coating so they will rust rather quickly. However, I know from experience that drilled/slotted rotors are much better than stock rotors and are better than just slotted. They won't last quite as long as slotted only, but they will provide much better braking without any fading! I "would venture to guess" that you put 2 cars side by side, one with SS lines and other with rubber lines, you'll never be able to tell the difference. They are what's hyped up. Not saying they don't help, but the amount they expand is so minimal your foot cannot feel it, especially if you have drilled/slotted brakes anyways. The difference with upgraded rotors is tremendous and is well worth the upgrade.

Do me and everyone else on this forum a favor and read before you open your mouth. There is enough confusion on this site as it sits. We don't need anybody else posting something they have no clue about.

These rotors also include zinc silver plating which will prevent the rotors from rusting on the hub and vents of the rotors. (sample picture above)

[*]Zinc Plated for protection against rusting!
Old 07-16-2008, 11:30 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

You get the full URL if you do the **** right. Its called Forum edict
I think you need to "properly use the tools given on the computer screen"
1. Type a word or phrase like - Tard trying to post a Link
2. Highlight that word or phrase
3. Click on Insert Link tool on your computer screen
4. Paste that link and bam a thread that does not look like ****
You're an ***.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:01 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Ideally, yes, increasing rotor size is the best way to increase stopping power, for many of the reasons stated... Slotting, or dimpling is better than your traditional stock, directionally veined rotors, due to the fact that it does increase surface area.. Drilling is usually not the best idea, since it does affect the overall strength and durability of the metal..

I guess it also comes down to the way you drive.. I don't know too many people who drive their Mustangs, or Sports cars like old ladies, and I DO know that the stock brakes on Mustangs are short of sh-t.. If you don't have the money to shell out on an entire upgrade, getting some slotted rotors and some decent pads would help out a lot.. You may not have noticed much initially, but I bet if you start pounding on your brakes and driving more spirited, you'd find that there is a lot less fade, and less chance of boiling the brake fluid.. Also keep in mind though, that slotted rotors do tend to go through pads quicker, and I don't know of any places that will turn slotted/drilled rotors..

Brakes can get in excess of 800F.. I've also seen brakes glow so hot they set the clear coat on fire...

JT
Old 07-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Young_Buck
2nd Gear Member

Ijust love how the poor guy who started this thread hasnt said anything for awhile, while others debate whats good/bad necessary and unnecessary. Haha

Hey Cassimus! I purchased those exact rotors with russel SS lines and cheap pads. They work awsome! Pedal feels much stiffer and response is much improved. I doubt that it shortend my stopping distance but it looks damn good and inspires confidence in my revamped braking system.

Like i stated above though GET GOOD PADS!!! Hawks, raybestos, or Green stuff. I ordered some EBC's but recieved the wrong item, i then grew impatient and purchased the best pads autozone carried........bad idea they gouged my rotors on front drivers side.

Goodluck bra.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Machwon
4th Gear Member

another cheap brake company can be found at www.rotorpros.com , and I know many people running their rotors (a few even track) and have yet to hear a bad thing about them- worth looking into I suppose.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:21 AM
Modular_Madness96
2nd Gear Member

I bought these a few months ago as stock replacements and theyre suprisingly a very nice setup.

I would definately recommend them to someone doing a brake change.

Quick Reply: to good to be true?