4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What do u think about cams

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:34 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What do u think about cams

Anyone know what kind of mileage you actually get with a stage 1 cam?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:20 PM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

HIJACKER!!! wtf. seriously, good question though, anyone have any idea?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

What do u think about cams
I always think there better when they come in packs of 4!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:41 AM
rob.d
1st Gear Member

Well, l looked at their website and again I am not impressed, and here is my reason why. All the camshafts for 2v stangs are reverse split. This type of cam shaft is good for a car with stock heads. You should also have a good to excellent flowing exhaust. It appears that you have chosen their STAGE 2 cam. Let’s take a look and see if you made the best choice for your application. The first thing that stands out is that you have 100 NX. This is the worst type of camshaft for NX.IMO Like we said before reverse is good for stock heads (poor flowing intake). When using NX you do not have a problem getting air into the motor, but getting it out. So why would you want the intake duration to be longer then the exhaust. In this case you could a chosen a traditional split cam which means the intake duration is smaller then the exhaust duration. Even a single split camshaft would have been better choice just advancing it a little more, so the exhaust events happen sooner. (this help to reduce pumping lose) When someone is using NX just for fun I will usually spec a N/A cam. If they want max performance on NX. Then I spec them a nitrous cam which usually cost them about 15rwhp when compared to a N/A cam. However, when on NX the nitrous cam will out perform the N/A cam by about 25-50rwhp. It all depends on the shot of NX. I am not trying to be a d!ck. I just want people to make a better choice when selecting a camshaft for the vehicle. I wish people would stop referring to cams by stages and say the cam spec. It would help people on the forum to understand how different bolt on and camshafts effect the torque curve for a vehicle. The best learning tool would be the dyno sheets and R&D. I hope to see more of that here on the forum. In the end as long a you are happy with your vehicle that’s all that matters. One last thing, do you know anyone that can sell me a STAGE 12 cam.jk Good luck with your horse power goals.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Holy crap! At no point in time does anyone want to read that!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:54 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: defconfire

They peak around 5750.

This is a great example of what a stage 1 (or any cam) will do for a stock motor GT. Notice how the power was really falling off past 5500, and peaked much eariler, on the stock cam. With the stage 1, he might not be increasing power much past 5500, but its at least nice and flat all the way to redline. I only picked up a 15-20 WHP peak to peak, but I picked up over 30 WHP at redline.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:13 PM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

yeai like that dyno chart, it really puts it into perspective for me. Thanks, thats exactly what i was looking for
Old 07-16-2008, 12:47 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

That graph is what sold me on cms stage 1's

this was from a upr product review a few years back on vt stage 1's

EDIT: also here is the tq chart

Old 07-16-2008, 01:04 PM
BHMustangGT
3rd Gear Member

Holy crap! At no point in time does anyone want to read that!
lol
Old 07-16-2008, 01:18 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

I love the cams in my car(vt stage 1) They are great for daily driving, which I don't do much of anyway(ride a bicycle everywhere). I did the install myself because I had the motor out of the car and heads off. With my mods in sig and the cams with a tune from Big Daddy Performance, I got 292 hp at the wheels and 316 ft lbs of torque. I got the dyno sheet floating around somewhere on the forums. I would probably be over 300 if i had some long tubes on it but i gotta watch emissons.
First post has the dyno sheet just click the box
My dyno post

Replacing the intake manifold on our cars when they are NA is basically a waste unless its like Code's old 01 GT that was worked beyond belief. If you plan on running a shot of nitrous, it would be worth it to swap the manifold to something elsefor the extra gain. If you comtemplating replacing the heads with something ported a little, then replace the cams while your in there to take advantage of extra air.

Hope that helps some

Quick Reply: What do u think about cams