4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

heads up for those with k&n drop in's

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:36 PM
dtkikols
2nd Gear Member

Default heads up for those with k&n drop in's

lately my A/C has been acting up. i would turn it on and the compressor would turn on then shut off, on, and off about every second. i took it to the shop down the street to see what was up. he hooked it up to the computer and we started the car and ran the A/C. turns out that the computer thinks that the car is at WOT all the time. the guy (dave) told me that on these motors when the computer senses WOT it turns the compressor off to pick up maximum HP.

Anyway back to the point, turns out the MAF is shot. its telling the computer im at WOT all the time, giving me crappy gas mileage and making my car run rich. he said to get rid of the K&n drop in b/c it gets oil on the MAF and kills it. He also said if u do run a k&n to use MAF cleaner not electrical contact cleaner or brake cleaner! it will ruin it in seconds.

If you have a k&n make sure your cleaning your maf with the right cleaner about every 1-2 months....
Old 07-17-2008, 05:41 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

Default RE: heads up for those with k&n drop in's

ive had mine in for 2 years and no problem...
Old 07-17-2008, 05:43 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

I've had mine for 1.5 Years with no problems.

Your MAF might have just been dirty to begin with...
Old 07-17-2008, 05:51 PM
BADSEED
3rd Gear Member

same here have had mine for over 2 years and never had a problem
Old 07-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: dtkikols

lately my A/C has been acting up. i would turn it on and the compressor would turn on then shut off, on, and off about every second. i took it to the shop down the street to see what was up. he hooked it up to the computer and we started the car and ran the A/C. turns out that the computer thinks that the car is at WOT all the time. the guy (dave) told me that on these motors when the computer senses WOT it turns the compressor off to pick up maximum HP.

Anyway back to the point, turns out the MAF is shot. its telling the computer im at WOT all the time, giving me crappy gas mileage and making my car run rich. he said to get rid of the K&n drop in b/c it gets oil on the MAF and kills it. He also said if u do run a k&n to use MAF cleaner not electrical contact cleaner or brake cleaner! it will ruin it in seconds.

If you have a k&n make sure your cleaning your maf with the right cleaner about every 1-2 months....
Mmm..not entirely true. 90% of the cars on the road do that, at WOT most cars shift more aggresively (meaning Higher RPM). The real reason A/C compressors turn off is to keep from burning up the A/C clutch/compressor and bearings. If that A/C clutch tried to engage at high RPM itwould toast it. HP lost on most cars with the AC on is maybe 6-8 hp at the flywheel. Far from significant for most high powered cars these days.

Anyways, the rest sounds plausible...have you actually replaced the MAF to see if it fixes your problem?

As for K&N Specific..just dno't over-oil your filter and remember, water goes from inside to out when cleaning and new oil goes ONLY on the outside of the filter.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:10 PM
dtkikols
2nd Gear Member

the cars still at the shop, we ordered a new one tonight. hes gonna put it in and drain/refil the freon and put in the new MAF tomorrow. I hope it fixes the problem.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:12 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

hope your not getting worked, a compressor will cycle like that ifthe refridgerant islow too. k n also make dry element filters for cars that have problems with getting oil on the maf.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:13 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

sounds like over oiling the filter was the problem here.