4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PI Swap ?'s (Boost)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 12:07 PM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

Default PI Swap ?'s (Boost)

I am thinking about doing a PI swap on my car and I just had a few questions. I've heard that some cars have clearance issues with the hood and the intake? So special kits are made for them. But I'm not really wanting to spend $500 on a kit that I can find the intake and parts for $300 but not specially modified. My car is 98 gt convertible if that helps anyone. And lastly I was wondering when I do the PI swap I know the compression will change and I think I want to run some type of centrifugal s/c because of my 4.10's and my only ? was what type of boost can I run? I'm thinking up to about 8 or 9 would be the max? Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:16 PM
New_edge kid

Default RE: PI Swap ?'s (Boost)

I helped do my buddy's 96 GT PI swap. No clearance issues here at all. i may be wrong but i fairly sure the compression was 11:1. it wouldnt run on any gas lower than 91 octane. even then it had a hard time idling with AC or any other power drainer on. If you are going to DIY i would suggest a VERY well orginized area and PLENTY of room. You'll need to remove the hood to even get to all the bolts. It helps to take off the fenders as well, but not a must. We did this back in high school a couple years back in Votech. Took us about 50-55 hours maybe more because we didnt get the timing chains perfect. I would recomend you take plenty of time when putting the chains back on. and rotate it with a Ratchet 59 times from TDC(found that bit on the web when we were doing it), if you feel the vavle stop the piston you know its not right. We forgot that step and almost trashed the engine on the first attempt to start it. Research it, that was the first mistake my buddy made... lack of research and knowledge.

Dont know if that helps you, but i figured i'd put my $.02 because of the headaches and such his car gave us. Good luck with it, they made a BIG difference in the way it ran.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:13 PM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

Np thanks man, I have a shop actually with two lifts so I'll be fine on the space part. My buddy did his not to long ago I just wasn't sure about if I could run boost or not. I've built the car from bottom to bolt-on's up haha. So it's about time I got to the engine, thanks for help. If anyone else can help me on theboost question I'd appreciate it.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:55 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

i know boost likes a lower compression ratio but i have no idea how a PI swap would react to boost.

anyone on here done this? im curious now.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:23 AM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

bump
Old 07-20-2008, 04:23 AM
Modular_Madness96
2nd Gear Member

C/R on a stock 96 4.6 with PI swap is right about 9.6 no where near 11.1
Old 07-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Modular_Madness96

You're crazy man, where'd you get that info from??

To the op, I don't think you'll have clearance issues, but I already had a cobra r hood so I'm not positive. You can run boost on a pi swapped car, I'm running 8psi intercooled. Thing is I had to pull more timing than a lower compression engine would have had to, so down low before its boosting I can feel it.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

with a PI head swap you'll be making 10.6:1 compression and that is bad for pump gas and a supercharger. Either pay up or change your goals. Higher compression loves nitrous.

You could get the head swap, gain the hp... save up to buy a supercharger then save up for new forged internals that way you'll be able to make more than 450rwhp.

Fast, Reliable & Cheap... ...Pick two
Old 07-20-2008, 01:02 PM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

So I take it you had to have it dyno tuned I imagine. What kind of gas are you using to pull those numbers. I just want to run full bolt on's, stock PI swap, and boost on 93 octane if I can. I'm don't want to mess with internals, cams, or porting, just yet.

ORIGINAL: Chris98Gt

To the op, I don't think you'll have clearance issues, but I already had a cobra r hood so I'm not positive. You can run boost on a pi swapped car, I'm running 8psi intercooled. Thing is I had to pull more timing than a lower compression engine would have had to, so down low before its boosting I can feel it.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chris98Gt

He's a noobie that I'm sure doesn't understand the tech behind it. Compression on a PI head swaped 96 gt is 10.6:1.

Quick Reply: PI Swap ?'s (Boost)