4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What are forged internals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Default What are forged internals?

I've geard the term "forged internals" but have no idea what they are or mean. Can someone please tell me? What are they good for? What benefits does your car get from having "forged internals?" How much does it cost?
Old 07-18-2008, 11:39 PM
ChucksBullitt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What are forged internals?

I wont get technical with this so ill answer it the simple way. Forged Interals are your connecting rods, pistons, crankshaft ETC ETC. from the factory your vehicle comes with non-forged parts which are good for a stock engine and someone who isnt going to go buck wild tuning the vehicle. In these vehicles as you approach the 400rwhp mark your stock internals will wear faster and degrade due to more strain and forces being put on them. forged internals are stronger and can take the abuse of 400+ easily. if your going to go the supercharger or turbo route then you should most def think about upgrading to forged internals. but if your going to stick naturally aspirated with a few bolt ons, then your stock internals will work just fine.
Forged items are expensive but the benefits of these parts outweight the cost of aquiring them.

Ive seen a forged rotating assembly(pistons, crank, rods and other hardware) anywhere from 1250-2000bucks. it all depends on your needs and wants.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:54 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Do you have a website that I could check out?
Old 07-19-2008, 12:26 AM
yellow034.6

stage3motorsports.com is a good place to deal with
Old 07-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: yellow034.6

stage3motorsports.com is a good place to deal with
It's a great website but I'm lost. There's about 5 different kinds and I don't know which one I need. Can you tell me which one would help me most? My car is still going to be a daily driver if that makes a difference.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:30 PM
yellow034.6

well you can do alot of things there really if its your daily driver and you plan on staying n/a id go with the 18.5cc pistons since thats what the stock piston cc's are if you have an 99 to 04 or you could go with the 10.8 cc pistonsi think is what they have. that will bump up the compression and give you a lil more power.if your going forged haveyour plan set up to make your choice on the cc's of the piston thatwill make all the differece in the world. basically more cc's less compression so you'll want more cc's for boost less for n/a give them a call and they can give you your best choice.it would take forever to go through all your choices LOL
Old 07-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: yellow034.6

well you can do alot of things there really if its your daily driver and you plan on staying n/a id go with the 18.5cc pistons since thats what the stock piston cc's are if you have an 99 to 04 or you could go with the 10.8 cc pistonsi think is what they have. that will bump up the compression and give you a lil more power.if your going forged haveyour plan set up to make your choice on the cc's of the piston thatwill make all the differece in the world. basically more cc's less compression so you'll want more cc's for boost less for n/a give them a call and they can give you your best choice.it would take forever to go through all your choices LOL
Once again thanks a lot. The last question I have is how long will it take to get installed? I asked one guy and he told me that his was supposed to be done in 3 weeks and it ended up taking 3 months. 3 MONTHS!!!!! I can't have my car out of commission for that long. How long would YOU say it takes to get done?
Old 07-22-2008, 04:49 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

With your mods right now I wouldnt worry about it unless you are slapping on a supercharger very soon. It will cost you around $2000 just to buy the parts and pay a machine shop to do the machineing and assembely. But from the sounds of it you dont have the knowledge to pull, dissasemble, reassemble and drop it back in the car. That will add another $2000-$3000 to the price tag. So if your staying NA keep what you got and learn more about what you really want your car to become. By then you may have the ability to do the work yourself.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

With your mods right now I wouldnt worry about it unless you are slapping on a supercharger very soon. It will cost you around $2000 just to buy the parts and pay a machine shop to do the machineing and assembely. But from the sounds of it you dont have the knowledge to pull, dissasemble, reassemble and drop it back in the car. That will add another $2000-$3000 to the price tag. So if your staying NA keep what you got and learn more about what you really want your car to become. By then you may have the ability to do the work yourself.
I am planning on getting a supercharger very soon. so my price tag I'm looking at is about $5,000 with installation? How long will it take to get my car back?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:04 PM
yellow034.6

+1 oxford
it really depends on the shop thats doing it likehow much experience they have withmodulars,how long the waiting list is,what kind of machines they have,how much machining they have to do,even how clean your motor is when you bring it in. If everything goes good maybe a week or two.you really just have to shop around your local shops.Im from ohio and i dont know anyone close that does modulars so im doing my 5.0 stroker kitmyself this winter but i work at a engine shop and i have all winter to do mine.you really just have to get qoets from your area shops.

Quick Reply: What are forged internals?