4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Camaro guy with a Mustang question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Z28guy

Default RE: Camaro guy with a Mustang question

lol, I don't think tearing up the trans had anything to do with hitting the deer. She said the deer incident was recent, but its had the auto for a couple years.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:51 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

look at the motor.. it will tell ya if its a cobra or not... the cobra's have bigger valve covers if you just look at the outside of the motor.... they may also have some 32valve plates on the valve covers maybe? also check the rear axle to see if its a straight axle or it has an independant rear suspension.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:55 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

if she lets you look under it.. look at the rear axle.. that can tell ya.. i bet ya shes lying so bad to you cause she knows you are wondering if its a GT and shes trying to sell it for more probably... a switch of tranny's isnt to easy... bet its a GT with the cobra body kit. some cobra's did have the GT hood I THINK? not so sure on that, but she is probably BSing you since she wont even let you look under the hood... thats the first place i would check to see if its one or not.. but also dont forget to check the car for any real bad work under the hood since its hit a deer and had the front bumper replaced with a new one.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:38 PM
Stang4Point6GT98
1st Gear Member

OK... I still don't know why you would swap a 5-speed out of a Cobra and put an automatic in... Makes no sense man... Did you check that steering wheel? If it has a pony it is a GT. A Cobra will say "Cobra."
Old 05-09-2005, 05:47 PM
firemedix911
2nd Gear Member

She's full of it. That's a GT I bet. Maybe when she got the car they tricked her into beliving it was a Cobra. I'm sure is not. Never seen a Cobra with a stock 99-04 gt hood.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Swells 03 GT
1st Gear Member

Wow you guys are all making me really really mad... Read the damn posts before posting.

The vin is a good idea because it is the easiest to check if she wont let you look under the hood. The reason her dad put COULD have put an auto in it is becuase she is a daddy's girl and he wanted her to have a cobra but still an auto... If you have the money putting a tranny in is as fast and easy as filling the gas tank.

And the post didn't say that she hit a deer and tore up her tranny... he said her dad tore up the origional manual that would go with the "Cobra"

And I think your right about the v6 hood on some cobras... me and my buddy were talking about one today and he was thinking of buying it and we talked about why someone would swap a cobra hood for a v6 hood.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:56 PM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

Sorry, but she is BS'ing you. There is no way it's a Cobra. Like everyone said why the fvck would someone go through all the hassle of putting an auto transmission in![&:] And yes there are the little things....like the steering wheel that says COBRA LOL. The biggest problem is that she won't let you look under the hood. That's just retarted.....she obviously doesn't want you to know that it's a GT.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Stang4Point6GT98
1st Gear Member

You need to chill out man... this isn't a ****-talking contest... it is a forum where people share ideas, opinions, and information. All I was doing was asking a simple question and sharing information that I know... nothing more... I wasn't trying to start a fight with anybody, I was just trying to help somebody out. Just relax and count to ten...
Old 05-09-2005, 06:00 PM
AllVenom
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stang4Point6GT98

OK... I still don't know why you would swap a 5-speed out of a Cobra and put an automatic in... Makes no sense man... Did you check that steering wheel? If it has a pony it is a GT. A Cobra will say "Cobra."
Now I personally wouldn't do this, but the fastest 03/04 Cobras have an auto. Someone even sells a kit to do this (for harness and all). It kinda makes me cringe to think of my beast with an auto, but hey everyone has their needs. I don't knock em for doing it. I just know that no matter how fast it makes it down the 1/4, I'm sure as hell not doing it.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Z28guy

Wow, you guys were all wrong and so was I. I looked at the car very closely including the engine bay and found that it was originally a 99 GT 5-spd. The vin code was an X which for 99 translates to the SOHC 4.6. Her dad wanted to build a sleeper, so several years ago, he bought a low mileage 4V 4.6 out of a 99 or 01 Cobra and swapped it in. A little later on, he shreaded the stock 5 spd at the strip and put in a somewhat-built auto that he already had in his posession with shift kit and 3k stall. At some point last year, he hit a deer and swapped to the Cobra front end, rather than replace it with factory GT parts. So the final verdict: 99 GT with engine/trans/front end swap. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Camaro guy with a Mustang question