MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   cattted pipe for long tubes (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/466721-cattted-pipe-for-long-tubes.html)

btbw92091 07-22-2008 08:44 PM

cattted pipe for long tubes

this winter i want to do a pi swap and long tubes but i want it street legal and i cant find cats for it on an h pipe

enrobriaffej 07-22-2008 08:48 PM

RE: cattted pipe for long tubes

if im not mistaken long tubes are illegal. otherwise the h pipe your talking about is a little harder to find than a regular h pipe. check out jba.com and americanmuscle.com(bbk brand)

btbw92091 07-22-2008 08:54 PM

o realy i just found a catted one y r they illegal

Dragonus18 07-22-2008 09:01 PM

ORIGINAL: enrobriaffej

if im not mistaken long tubes are illegal. otherwise the h pipe your talking about is a little harder to find than a regular h pipe. check out jba.com and americanmuscle.com(bbk brand)
LONGTUBES ARE ILLEGAL!?!?!? I GOT THEM DONE AT A SHOP AND THEY DIDN'T SAY A WORD!!! IS THIS TRUE!?

enrobriaffej 07-22-2008 09:06 PM

Wait till another member comments on long tubes. but i think they are not within emissions regulations

btbw92091 07-22-2008 09:10 PM

o well wouldnt they say on american muscle if they rnt because it does for the x pipes

enrobriaffej 07-22-2008 09:40 PM

pretty sure about long tubes being illegal bro sorry. jba(and some others) offer mid length headers that are legal though. go with one of those and matching x or h pipe with cats. jba is expensive though(although i hear they are great

Novanutcase 07-22-2008 10:01 PM

Depends on what state you're in but I'm in Cali so I know FOR SURE they are illegal but I don't expect any cops to get on their hands and knees to checkl. They figure it'll get caught at the biannual smog check.

John

Eagle2000GT 07-23-2008 06:54 AM

Are LTs illegal. The answer is Yes and No. Each state is different. California has the strictest emission laws in the country. All after market parts have to be on the approved CARB list and they physically check the vehicle during the inspection. There are no LTs on the approved parts list. Some of the east coast states are pretty strict as well. A lot of states just hook up to the ODBII port and check to see if the car is throwing any codes. And some states don't check at all.

Regardless, it is illegal to take the cats off your car in all 50 states. That's a federal law. That's why off-road pipes are called off-road pipes. A local muffler shop has a sign which says, "If you don't ask me to take off your catalitic converters, I won't ask you to pay the $2,500 fine."

If you want good advice on these forums for parts like this, update your profile so that people know where your from.

Eagle2000GT 07-23-2008 06:56 AM

To the OP. BBK makes catted H and X pipes. I'm running their catted X-pipe.