4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

The thing isn't TOTALLY shot...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default The thing isn't TOTALLY shot...

My 2000 Mustang GT has about 50,000 miles on her now. The brand new OEM reman motor in it has about 2,000 on it. The original motor you guessed it- it blew up. The car was beaten on most of its life (until it met me =))

Anyway though.. The transmission shifts pretty good but I notice when I shift extremely slow into second, it feels slightly as though the transmission wants to kick the shifter out. (this is only if I dont give the shifter much pressure to put it in) Also, EVERY time I have to pop the shifter in 1st, THEN reverse.. sometimes it wont let me put it in reverse even when going into 1st and I have to drop the clutch, clutch in again, then it usually goes.. it's very annoying. I dont know the last time the tranny fluid was changed and I imagine the clutch cable is spanked. (the is a brand new clutch kit in there though, Ford OEM.. just no clutch cable.

Also.. see if you can figure this one out Twice during the time I have owned this car the car has gotten stuck in reverse.. that's right - STUCK. I smashed the shifter and everything it would NOT move. I had to have a friend push the back of my car slightly to get it to roll so It would pop out... The two times it got stuck in reverse.. was when I webt about 80+ feet in reverse.. never any other time. Explanataion? ANYONE I'm dying for one lol
Old 07-24-2008, 01:08 AM
TX97GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: The thing isn't TOTALLY shot...

Mustangs of several different years are notorious for being difficult to get into reverse. Mine does it occasionally. Going to another gear and back to reverse works every time for me.
As for getting stuck in reverse... got me.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:06 AM
OUTLAW1969
2nd Gear Member

Mine seems hard to get into reverse at times, too. The rest of the transmission seems fine, so it has never really bothered me. I chalked it up to the transmission just being quirky..
Old 07-24-2008, 07:31 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

My old GT was hard to get into reverse sometimes. You either had to put it into first of pump the clutch once in neutral. I have never had any problems with getting stuck in reverse though.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Yeah the getting stuck in reverse only happened twice, and it was scary to be honest.

When it happened in the parking lot once (like an *** I backed wayyyyy up to park in the middle of the parking lot away from other cars).. I looked like an idiot because I was trying to pop it out of reverse by myself. I was rocking the car back and forth by body movement inside the car and the clutch in... with my hand on the shifter.. but guess where my rightfoot was? THE BRAKE. duhHhhhHhhh.. I wasn't going to be popping it out of reverse anytime soon being that retarted. The next time it happened, I did the same thing. haha. So I do not know if i'm able to pop it out while still being in the driver's seat.. but I do know that people pushing my car from behind works.

Anyway.. this only happens when I go over like 80 or more feet in reverse.. also I noticed if i kinda like.. (while in reverse) give it some gas.. then let off, give it some gas, then let off (being in reverse the whole time) IDK if that contributes to the problem of it getting stuck or not... Anyone have a possible explanation for this occurance??

Would new tranny fuild help? What I was thinkin is that maybe the selector forkwas getting stuck? Thanks. I do know that the problem with getting into reverse is the syncho cone not meshing the dog teeth and the gear..
Old 07-24-2008, 05:02 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Evenexchange

Yeah the getting stuck in reverse only happened twice, and it was scary to be honest.

When it happened in the parking lot once (like an *** I backed wayyyyy up to park in the middle of the parking lot away from other cars).. I looked like an idiot because I was trying to pop it out of reverse by myself. I was rocking the car back and forth by body movement inside the car and the clutch in... with my hand on the shifter.. but guess where my rightfoot was? THE BRAKE. duhHhhhHhhh.. I wasn't going to be popping it out of reverse anytime soon being that retarted. The next time it happened, I did the same thing. haha. So I do not know if i'm able to pop it out while still being in the driver's seat.. but I do know that people pushing my car from behind works.

Anyway.. this only happens when I go over like 80 or more feet in reverse.. also I noticed if i kinda like.. (while in reverse) give it some gas.. then let off, give it some gas, then let off (being in reverse the whole time) IDK if that contributes to the problem of it getting stuck or not... Anyone have a possible explanation for this occurance??

Would new tranny fuild help? What I was thinkin is that maybe the selector forkwas getting stuck? Thanks. I do know that the problem with getting into reverse is the syncho cone not meshing the dog teeth and the gear..
reverse isnt synchronized.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:59 PM
97mustanggton18s
2nd Gear Member

I hate to say this to you,but I think your on your way to getting a tranny rebuilt soon. When I got my mustang within the first two months I had it, it would get stuck in reverse. I became so bad I tryd for 30 minutes to get it out and it wouldnt, so I sent it to a tranny shop. They said my year (97)had a bulliten outyFordfor reverse. It wasnt a recall so I had to pay for it to get it fixed.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default RE: The thing isn'

1. How much did it cost you for the rebuild?

2. I have a different transmission than you. I know I am not on my way to a new transmission, I don't trust your judgment on this one, sorry. Just because you have a gear selector out.. doesn't mean everything is shot. I might be on my may, but not before my 3-year warranty motor blows up. The tranny in my car is tough.. and even those two times when I did get stuck.. I was able to pop it right out with a little push. I want a new tranny, and I would like mine to blow, but I dont think that's happening.

3. Yeah I know, im retarted sometimes.. 1st and reverse don't have synchros I know. That's the whole reason I dont understand why they grind.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

bump
Old 07-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

I can't believe I have you guys stumped. =)