4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I have 2 questions I need answered

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Acid_Haze

Default I have 2 questions I need answered

First Question: When I jack the front of my car up and spin the front wheel, what should I hear? Should I hear nothing? Or should I hear a very light noise, like a slight hissing? I just installed my rotors, and I've broken them in, but I got paranoid today when I heard squeeking coming from one of the wheels when I would take turns. It didn't always happen, only sometimes, and I can't hear it if the car is standing still. I jacked the car up and spun the front wheels, where I believed the sound had come from, and it feels like there's a tiny little bit of resistance, like the pads are just barely touching the surface. I just hope my pistons are retracted properly.

Second Question: I know a lot of you guys have off road exhaust. I have a 2.5" Dr Gas O/R X pipe sitting in my garage that I've been waiting to pair up with some magnapacks, but mainstream shops in my area won't install uncatted exhaust. Where did you guys get yours done? And, if I provided the parts, what would be a good price (for full exhaust - headers, mid pipe, and catback)?

Old 07-24-2008, 12:44 AM
btbw92091
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I have 2 questions I need answered

y dont you just install the x pipe your self its not that hard if you have tools and a friend there to help
Old 07-24-2008, 01:03 AM
Acid_Haze

You have to cut off the old exhaust and lower the K member or part of the suspension don't you? I don't have the tools for that.

I was just curious about where other people had gotten theirs installed.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:55 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The brake pads always rub slightly on the rotors, that is normal. The caliper pistons do not "retract", they are pushed in by the normal and slight runout of the rotors, typically 0.001" to 0.002".[/align][/align]Changing the midpipe does not require any special tools or the removal of anything but the mid-pipe. The front O2 sensor connectors can be sort of a pain to reach if you have large hands (like me) and the nuts at the manifold can be frozen up pretty solid on an older car, especially on older cars that have lived in the "rust belt" their entire life.[/align][/align]Soak them with penetrating oil for a day or two and they will be somewhat easier to remove. Use 6-point sockets only.[/align][/align]No legitimate exhaust shop will install, or generally even work on,a non-catted sytems. It's a big-time violation of Federal and most state's laws and could cost them a bunch of money in fines, and their business license as well.[/align]
Old 07-24-2008, 10:28 AM
jhell00
Possible Scammer

yeah diy
Old 07-24-2008, 10:51 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

just to install a new mide pipe, all you ahve to do is un bolt the old one..bolt up the new one...some of the nuts are hard tog et to though lol pretty easy to me.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Acid_Haze

Well I need to install more than just the midpipe, I want to do full exhaust, the midpipe is just the piece I have right now. So that means all of you guys with O/R pipes put them on yourselves or you found a shady mechanic? It just so happens I know somone like that...

I'm glad that sound is normal, cliff, but here's the thing. I was thinking it might be something in my suspension so when I got home I started doing a little testing. When I turn the wheel while going slowly (>8 mph) I can hear what I would describe as a low humming noise coming from the wheel... kind of like what it would sound like if you tapped a low pitced tunning fork. It sounded like it was coming from my driver side - front wheel so I banged on the tire with my hand and I could hear metal vibrating a bit. I did the same with the other three wheels and I did not hear that sound. What could that be? The lugs are on tight and so is the caliper. I wonder if I need to replace the ball joint... that would be a good excuse to do springs.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:56 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: Acid_Haze

Well I need to install more than just the midpipe, I want to do full exhaust, the midpipe is just the piece I have right now. So that means all of you guys with O/R pipes put them on yourselves or you found a shady mechanic? It just so happens I know somone like that...

I'm glad that sound is normal, cliff, but here's the thing. I was thinking it might be something in my suspension so when I got home I started doing a little testing. When I turn the wheel while going slowly (>8 mph) I can hear what I would describe as a low humming noise coming from the wheel... kind of like what it would sound like if you tapped a low pitced tunning fork. It sounded like it was coming from my driver side - front wheel so I banged on the tire with my hand and I could hear metal vibrating a bit. I did the same with the other three wheels and I did not hear that sound. What could that be? The lugs are on tight and so is the caliper. I wonder if I need to replace the ball joint... that would be a good excuse to do springs.
[/align][/align]What year is it, how many miles on it, where do you live?[/align][/align]Why do so many postings start out with "my car does X please help me", and then not present even the most fundamental information that would give the rest of us a clue as to the potential overall condition of their car?[/align][/align]If it 7-10 years old, and has 75k+ miles on it, and you live in the rust/salt-in-the-winter belt, then it could very well be that the entire front end is shot. [/align][/align]OTH; if you live in the south, and the car is less than 7 years old, and have less than 100k then it's probably nothing to worry about...[/align][/align]
Old 07-25-2008, 02:17 AM
Acid_Haze

It's a 99GT with 80k miles and I live in Wisconsin.

However, I garage the car in the winter, so it doesn't get huge amounts of salt on it during that time. I doubt the whole front end it shot becuase the noise is only coming from one wheel, and the suspension is in really good condition for its age. The shocks and struts all have very good resistance on them, and there's no bounce whatsoever. I take extremly good care of this car. I also don't put a huge amount of miles on it.

And, just to be clear, this is only my second thread on this board, so I'm sorry. The first time I did include the year and whatnot, I just forgot to this time. Give a newbie a break, would ya? [sm=smiley19.gif]
Old 07-25-2008, 02:23 AM
Juggalo351
2nd Gear Member

take a look at your wheel bearing, if its making a squeaking noise that could be shot. or it could just need to be repacked with grease, other than that im not too sure.

Quick Reply: I have 2 questions I need answered