4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Kenne bell vs. prochager stage 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:18 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Kenne bell vs. prochager stage 2

I'm a bit confused with you guys talking price. As far as I've heard, KB is a dealer direct company, and the quote I got from them on a 2.1L 9-14psi intercooled setup was $4999, which is about the same as I've seen from any of the centri guys, Procharger included. The kit also comes with a chip tuned for the blower, which they said in an email I got from them, can be adjusted by them for a car with exhaust, like the setup you have, so you won't need custom tuning, according to them. So with that in mind, if you're confident in installing, as far as money goes I would say the KB is your cheaper option money wise.
And you can follow Kenne Bell's advice about their canned tune if you go to church every Sunday and keep your fingers crossed while you're in the pew. The bottom line is....why trust your car (especially since it will likely be on the ragged edge of safety, power-wise, without a built bottom end) to a canned tune when a KB or a centri is feeding it. Especially, when your caris likely moreunique than most would like you to think.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:32 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

In that case, you'll need a tune no matter which way you decide to go, centri or twin screw, and unless you're really comfortable tuning an FI engine, you're probably going to be paying a descent amount for a professional to do it. The point I was really trying to make is that a few people were saying that the KB is the more expensive setup, possibly even reaching into the TT arena, and from the prices I've seen and the quotes I've gotten, that's simply not what I've found. If money's an issue for this guy, I don't want him to choose one over the other because he was told that one option ran alot deeper in the pocket than the other.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Kwolfe71
1st Gear Member

KB love it!!!
Old 07-27-2008, 06:33 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ddmsgtr1

I'm a bit confused with you guys talking price. As far as I've heard, KB is a dealer direct company, and the quote I got from them on a 2.1L 9-14psi intercooled setup was $4999, which is about the same as I've seen from any of the centri guys, Procharger included. The kit also comes with a chip tuned for the blower, which they said in an email I got from them, can be adjusted by them for a car with exhaust, like the setup you have, so you won't need custom tuning, according to them. So with that in mind, if you're confident in installing, as far as money goes I would say the KB is your cheaper option money wise.
Where did you get a 5,000 dollar quote for a procharger? I got the kit, spark plugs, 42lb injectors,fuel pump and chip to my door for 4,385 dollars.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:51 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I might have had a few options added on on RPMoutlet. But still, we're talking about a difference there of under a grand, the two setups aren't that far apart when you're talking about that much cash, but a twin turbo kit, like one you would get from HP or Hellion is likely to run you over $7000. If someone's thinking of blowing this much cash, I don't think a few hundred will throw them off too far, to me the twin screws and the centris are in close to the same ball park.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:27 PM
GearJammer78
1st Gear Member

The KB 2.1L 9# int. kit ran me $5128.00 shipped directly to my house. Dont forget gauges.I got an Autometer C2 boost/vaccum and C2 fuel pres. ( 400.00). And incidentals such as gauge pods and tools you may need. If you can turn a wrench you can install this kit! Very easy step by step instructions. It took me a total of 24 labor hours to do, a 30 sec prayer, and she started right up. Its been fun ever since, I dont regret it.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Nolimits31
3rd Gear Member

+1 eactly how much it was shipped to my door very easy install. gearjammer do you still have the kb tune or did you dynotune it? if so what were your numbers?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:28 PM
GearJammer78
1st Gear Member

I haven't put it on a dyno yet but I am running the KB tune. I may by the end of the "season" (WNY sucks!)When I do I'll post it.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Nolimits31
3rd Gear Member

o you live in wny? where abouts i live in utica ny right in cny.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:06 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black2000gt

i have a 2000 mustang gt with midpipe and catback both slp lowering springs and rims and tires. I want to supercharge it what would be better kenne belll blower or procharger stage 2. Also where have you guys found the best deals with complete kits? Is modular powerhouse a prochager dealer?

Thanks let me kno what you think.
Most people will tell you the KB is more fun to drive. That is probably true. I remember reading about a test drive on an '03 Cobra which has a factory twin-screw supercharger. The writer said that it makes you think a new set of tires every week is an acceptable cost.

I chose a Procharger over a twin-screw because:
1. My car is a daily driver and I need to drive it through all types of weather including snow.
2. I'm not the only driver. My wife drives my car occasionally.
3. I could already break loose my tiresif I went WOT at 15 mph.
With a Centri if you keep the rpms below 2500, the car drives like a stock Mustang.

Quick Reply: Kenne bell vs. prochager stage 2