4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mustang GT Vs. Trans Am and CamAro

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 07:29 PM
66_mustang_04
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang GT Vs. Trans Am and Camero

my cousin had like 3.46 in his trans am or something like that which was stock i could be wrong...1st and 2nd where good ...you know head to head...but then he pulled hard in 3rd gear no matter what mod i had ...well i havent used the nitrous on him due to the fact he blew his motor!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:49 PM
blackbird8200

ORIGINAL: redstanger

i kill camaro's and firebirds all the time. i took a 2001 WS6 that had exhaust and a 6speed by 2 cars at least and Z28's that have intake and exhaust mods still cant beat me without nitrous. the only car's u might have to worry about is a camaro SS. dont try to take them on highways them kind of cars love top speed. If you want to beat camaros and firebirds with a mustang take them from a dig. they have 2.73 rear end gears they are dogs out of the hole. i have stock gears still to so im sure you would take them with all that.

Most all z28 and t/a have 3.23 rear end gears only 6-speed cars have 3.42. some f-bodies came with 2.73 most were (convertibles)
as to regards to killing f-bodies they must have all had bad drivers (most LS1) put down between 290-315hp at the rear wheels stock!
mine with a lid and cat-back did 330rwhp. and run anywhere between 13.7-13.0 1/4 mile times
Old 05-10-2005, 07:15 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Don't listen to Ford! There is ALWAYS a competition for the majority of consumer purchases. That's how money is made, unless someone has a uique product that no one else has, you WILL be competing against other companies whether it's intentional or not. Playstation vs. X-box, Mcdonalds vs. Burger King, EVO vs. WRX STi, Tekken vs. Virtua Fighter, F-series vs. Ram pickups, Dish Network vs Direct Tv, etc. You try to make your product better to win consumers and stay ahead of the other products. Ford may not state this directly but I guarantee you that if you were in one of their corporate meetings you would hear someone say "What can we do to boost sales againt Toyota, Honda, Dodge etc?" You would also hear "What can we do to make sure we don't fall behind?" The mustang sold better than the Comaro and T/A even though it was an inferior machine, it sold more because of a more faithful following. Seriously, why do you think they canceled the Lightning after all this time? **cough**500hp Ram SRT-10** cough. That is also why they won't bring the new European version of the Focus (one of the best automobiles Ford has ever created) to the U.S. They would have to compete with the EVO,WRX and upcoming Skyline and competing costs MONEY. Chevy has a supercharged Cobalt, why? Dodge has a turbocharged Neon, why? Everyone here knows why, Honda, Mitsu, Nissan, just to name a few reasons why. It would not be hard for ford to make a forced induction compact for the U.S. market, or put the excelent Navigator engine in a Mustang and supercharge it. They won't because they want to stay on the safe side and not lose money. GM's pony cars were behind the Mustang that's why GM made them better performing so it could try to take out the Stang, but it didn't work. They also took a chance with the GTO which is a car with a totally different name from Austrailia. It could have kept it's same name or either been named something totally new and unique. But take a wild guess why it was named after a legendary muscle car it had nothing to do with. To compete with the Mustang! Okay, I am through venting, but if anyone thinks I am wrong, I dare you to research and not come up with the same info I said.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

The Lightning didn't get canned because of the SRT-10. Lack of interest and profibility will do that...

When it comes to selling cars, practicallity and looks are all that matters, not performance.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:25 AM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

And you don't think the Ram SRT-10 didn't have anything to do with that? I agree with you on your last statement, that's what I was saying the Mustang did not perform as well as the GM cars but it still outsold them. Performance does play a small role as well. Most of the mustangs sold were V-6 models true enough, but if Ford thought that was enough would we really have the GT and Cobra models?
Old 05-11-2005, 02:38 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuslee842

And you don't think the Ram SRT-10 didn't have anything to do with that? I agree with you on your last statement, that's what I was saying the Mustang did not perform as well as the GM cars but it still outsold them. Performance does play a small role as well. Most of the mustangs sold were V-6 models true enough, but if Ford thought that was enough would we really have the GT and Cobra models?
The SRT-10 didnt have anything to do with the canning of the lightning, and I would be pretty suprised to not see it come back out in the next few years.

SVT is trimming down, and concentrating on the new cobra. They have a compeletely new platform to work with, so its going to take a lot of time/money to get it right.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:48 PM
nathanoj

Correction...the Lightning was not canned. The new bodystyle had emurged and SVT at Ford was not ready to release. We will all see it back on Ford lots by the end of 06. With the 5.4L supercharged, rumors of 550 HP with 550+ Torque...but who knows
Old 05-11-2005, 04:02 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

That's what I'm trying to say, not that the SRT-10 has killed the lightning, but since there are performance pick-ups to compete with now, Ford releasing the same Lightning wouldn't be a good idea. There were no comaros or T/A's to compete with awhile back so the mustang went basically unchanged thru 99' to 04'. To save costs they just re-released the same car, pretty much all manufacturers do this if the car is top selling or either try to re-work the car if it's in a slump (think about how Mitsu changes their EVO each year). Now with the arrival of 350z's, RX-8's, etc, tah dahhh, we now have a new mustang with INCREASED horsepower and an all-new platform. Imagine if Ford gave us the same Lightning from the last few years on the same market with high performing sport trucks from Chevy, Dodge, and Toyota, it wouldn't be pretty. They pulled it off with the mustang but they know that it’s not likely with the Lightning. That's why it has not been released, and that's why SVT is going back to the drawing board, and that’s why the lighting is rumored to have more than 500hp.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:14 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

LS1 = '97-'04 Vette
LS1 = '98-'02 f-body (TransAm/Formula/Z28)
LT1 = '93-'97 f-body

Auto LT1/LS1's come with 2.73-3.23 gears. Most have 3.23's.
Manual LT1/LS1's come with 3.42 gears.

Hope that clears things up. From my experience, a 2V won't run with a bolt on LS1 w/o some type of forced induction.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:09 AM
josh_0351
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

Don't forget the Mustang has a 4.6 liter engine, like a WHOLE LITER smaller than the Chevy's. Considering that, the Mustang makes amazing power.
^^^^^^^^^^EXACTLY!!!^^^^^^^^^^

310-hp, 5.7-liter V-8
325-hp, 5.7-liter V-8
335-hp, 5.7-liter V-8

Quick Reply: Mustang GT Vs. Trans Am and CamAro