4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

KB vs. Saleen Series IV

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:20 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: KB vs. Saleen Series IV

KBs sound sick, id probably get one if they didn't add any power but still made that whine, ok i wouldn't but thats besides the point they do make a bunch of power AND sound ****reing SICK so buy one.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:29 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sstang

I'm trying to decide what forced induction route to take, as it will be coming in the near future. How does a Kenne Bell compare to a Saleen Series IV supercharger? I know both are twin screw but the Saleen is around $800-$1000 less than a KB. I believe I have heard the KB makes better power though so I was just wondering. I also don't know if you have an intercooling option with the Saleen.

Aside from that, I'm debating between twin screw and centri. I know twin screws are instant boost (more expensive though), but it seems like centri's post just as good, if not better, times at the track.
alright, to dispell a couple rumors.

The saleen has one of the cleanest looking installs, I don't think you could find something that looked more OEM than what they produce, at least from what I know of the 05+ models.

as for the twin screw vs Centri, it's really all about preference and what your going to use the car for. If it's going to be a street car that you want to be faster than hell, KB or Whipple is the way to go. If your looking for a drag car, centri is by far the way to go unless your going to go with some super sticky tires.

I'm sure you've heard the old racers addage, spinnin' ain't win'in, and the problem with KB's is it takes much more driver skill to launch aggressively and not spin halfway down the track, with centri's, it's very easy, at least it has been with every centri I have experienced.

If you have a set of big n' littles for weekend use, and daily drive the car during the week, I would go the KB/whipple route, as then you'll be able to post good times, and still have a very fast street car.

As far as streetability is concerned, the KB and Centri's are going to be about equal, so long as you stay out of boost on both applications, they would see very similar gas mileage, and neither are going to overheat. On the highway, alot of KB car owners I know personally say they get great mileage, and that the blower actually helps in that department/makes the engine more efficient.

As soon as you start seeing boost regularly on the street, you will see a few things will be true. A KB car will burn through tires significantly faster than a centri car, even if your a great driver and can keep from spining, you'll usually be on the edge of traction, and the tires will still wear at a faster rate. KB cars do seem to get hotter than centri cars, mainly because roots blowers/twin screws sit on top of the engine, so not only do they have the temperature of the incoming air to heat them up, they have the heat from the engine radiating directly into them, so if you see boost often on the streets, I think that a heat extractor hood of some sort, or some sort of venting would be necessary.

Now it doesn't sound like you have a built motor, so I can't really say to go with the whipple 3.4L, which you can get for 3,900 (this is bare bones though, just the manifold and blower, and you have to source everything else yourself). I can advise that because the lowest output it can be set at is 15PSI, which would be at least 450rwhp, which we all know would be a little more than most would like to risk.

With a centri car, almost everyone will know you have a blower (well at least everyone who knows what the hell a blower is), whereas the twin screws are much easier to conceal when not under boost, they don't start to scream until your romping on them.

I have also heard that eaton is now offering something called a TVS blower ? It's supposably a twin screw, the TVS stands for Twin VerticieS, I believe, I havn't really researched it much, but you might want to look into that as an option as well. I have a little more faith in Eaton as a company than I have for Kenne Bell.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Yellow Fever
3rd Gear Member

Stay away from the Saleen. I mean as far away as possible. If you want to know why, PM me.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:04 PM
DIY
2nd Gear Member

One other aspect of the centri/twin-screw debateconcerns the intake manifold. Twin screw blowers eliminate the need/option of runningmost aftermarket manifolds (trick flow, P-51,etc.). Depending on your goals, this could be a plus or negative.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:30 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Stay away from the Saleen. I mean as far away as possible. If you want to know why, PM me.
I see why in your signature..... OUCH!

I'm leaning towards a centri for the fact that it's a grand cheaper and a lot easier to drive.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Jcelli04
2nd Gear Member

since when is there a whipple availabe for the 2v? this is news to me (and amazing news at that)
Old 07-28-2008, 08:50 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

The saleen blowers available for the 2v are made by whipple, but thats it. There isn't any others by whipple available.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:53 PM
devineju
1st Gear Member

Kb = instant power and a nice sound that let's people know that you are charged up.....
Old 07-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Nolimits31
3rd Gear Member

+1 hell yea!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:14 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

The saleen blowers available for the 2v are made by whipple, but thats it. There isn't any others by whipple available.
you can use the 3.4L whipple made for the 2v Lightnings on our cars, does that count?

Quick Reply: KB vs. Saleen Series IV