4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

KB vs. Saleen Series IV

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Nolimits31
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: KB vs. Saleen Series IV

+1 definitly agree just ket the 2.6 kb its not worth all the hassle.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:33 PM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sstang

Stay away from the Saleen. I mean as far away as possible. If you want to know why, PM me.
I see why in your signature..... OUCH!
Don't necessarily rely on that for your experience with a saleen blower. I'm putting down 350rwhp with an old series II saleen blower. Yellow's problems with his saleen blower have been mentioned several times in the forums.

Speaking from the other side (from a guy that had a saleen blower that came installed in the car already).....I'd say that the consensusfrommost peopleseems to be to go with a KB or Whipple (as you can see from all the posts).

The saleen blower isn't a bad blower....it just depends on what your power requirements are. If you're looking to max out as much as humanly possible and keep adding to your car every year....then spend the money and get a KB or a whipple.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:54 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jcelli04

i highkly doubt that putting a whipple for a 5.4 2v on our cars would be anywhere close to efficient. The 5.4 are wider than our 2valves, which is why you need adapter plates to use 4.62v stuff on a 5.4 2v. In order to make it fit you would have to make a custom intake that would restrict flow so much that you would't be able to make full use of the power.

Also if your goal is only 650 horsepower you could just get a KB 2.6 and call it a day. The bonus being you dont have to have someone fab up an "custom" intake that they put absolutley no reseach and design into. I'd be willing to bet this thing is more of a restriction than you could imagine.
who said that my guy didn't design the manifold (technically I did it in solidworks, and he finished the design), but still, don't just think that this something being slapped together.

I can assure you, along with everyone else here who knows how crappy the 2V heads are that the intake manifold won't be the restriction, no matter how poorly designed, all they have to do is outflow the heads, which isn't hard to do.

It's okay though, you can keep on thinking that you know more than I do about it, even though I have already spent close to $8,000 on this project
Old 07-29-2008, 10:34 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pcs

ive read alot of people on this post saying go with the kb, but how many of them have a kb? all of my buddies that run lightnings stay away from kb, poor quality compared to wipple. i know of 3 people who have had a kb fail due to poor lubrication that caused the bearings to fail.wipple's that have failed, zero and alot of the lightning forum guys all stay away from kb b/c they break. ford also chose to offer wipple and not kb in their racing catalog due to better engineering and testing from wipple, same rotors just a better finish.
-1 on the kb
I'm not gonna give KB a -1, but I will agree that most people that vouch for them don't have one and have simply watched the "snakebite 2" video a few too many times. From the KB cars that I've seen they have an extremely well designed kit and are very reliable once you scrap the stock tune they come with. If you remember the new blowers also come with bulges on the front of the case so it holds more oil for better lube. As far as why ford uses whipple instead of KB is probably more based on the mass production capabilities of whipple vs KB and the fact that they have been using that same company for years with good success.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:15 PM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

yeah alot more goes into what company ford goes with then just what s/c will work better. it has alot to do with who get the contract first. i would bet it has alot more to do with whipple giving them a cheaper price and the ability to mass produce then which one is better