4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Everyone, read this please! I want REAL opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Everyone, read this please! I want REAL opinions!

Okay, I am bringing my car to the Ford Dealership tomorrow to finally get every single freakin problem that my car has fixed ONCE and for all.

1. Clutch will squeak when fully released (moving or standing still) and "tick" when fully depressed (only when moving)

2. When coming to a 5mph-0mph controlled stop, the brake pedal vibrates. I removed ABS fuse and it stopped. ABS fuse is currently in. Also, if you coast the vehicle after the pedal vibrates a steady clicking comes from the front passenger wheel well.

3. The thermostat in the gauge cluster reads fully hot after 2 minutes of the car running.

4. I need a 50,000 mile check-up done

5. The car needs new transmission fluid. Synthetic is preferable.

6. Upon coming to a stop from 20mph - 0mph, the brakes squeak slightly.

7. When backing out of a parking space and turning the wheel LEFT, occasionally a loud scraping noise is heard.

8. When I first start the car and begin to go forward, if I turn the wheel LEFT, there is a very faint "thud" that comes from the front of the car, It can be felt in the steering.

9. There is slight play in the steering wheel. I had steering rack bushings replaced a month or two ago. The steering rack itself, I was told, didn't need to be replaced.

10. When I pump gas into my car, it does not matter how full the tank is, the pump shuts off like the tank is full repeatedly. A few times, I had only put 5 gallons of gas into the car (the tank size is 15) and it clicked off and spilled gas everywhere from underneath the rear fender. I went to check the fuel level in the car and it was only 1/3 full. The car has had a new fuel pump and seal installed, I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem.
[/b]Okay, please someone give me SERIOUS estimates on how much you think all this crap will cost and what maybe might not be totally nessecary because it's so expensive. I realize it's hard to know exactly how much all this will cost becasue you don't know exactly what's wrong but.. based on your experience what do you think?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:52 PM
FixFalcon
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Everyone, read this please! I want REAL opinions!

Jesus...How old is it?? It only has 50k miles and all those problems? If you take it to a Ford dealer, you will obviously get your *** hammered by labor costs.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Yeah the car was beaten the crap out of for 45,000 of those miles. I already got a new motor put in.. because it threw a rod bearing. I just want opinions.. labor is 90 an hour there.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Mustanggt9589
3rd Gear Member

man you are talking alot of work. The average dealership charges around $90 an hour for labor. You can count on them most likely keeping your car overnight so Thats about 2 days work at the minimum for 90 dollars and hour. It's hard to guess because the noises could be nothing major or something huge. So i would have to guess ur hovering in the 3 to 4 thousand dollar range if not more. To give you an idea i had my timing chain assembly done at a ford dealer. It cost me 1200 and it was only there for like a 4 hours if i remember correctly. Sounds like its time to sell the stang if you don't owe any money on it. Take the money you get and use it to put a downpayment on another mustang. I am completely guessing on the price maybe someone here who might work for ford or is a mechanic can give you a better estimate. but good luck anyways.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustanggt9589

man you are talking alot of work. The average dealership charges around $90 an hour for labor. You can count on them most likely keeping your car overnight so Thats about 2 days work at the minimum for 90 dollars and hour. It's hard to guess because the noises could be nothing major or something huge. So i would have to guess ur hovering in the 3 to 4 thousand dollar range if not more. To give you an idea i had my timing chain assembly done at a ford dealer. It cost me 1200 and it was only there for like a 4 hours if i remember correctly. Sounds like its time to sell the stang if you don't owe any money on it. Take the money you get and use it to put a downpayment on another mustang. I am completely guessing on the price maybe someone here who might work for ford or is a mechanic can give you a better estimate. but good luck anyways.
No way. I had my motor put in at the dealership and labor alone was $1,600.. and that was for nearly 18 hours of labor.. there is NO WAY this work will take 18 hours of labor. What they will do at the Ford dealership if diagnose everything for $90, and tell me where I stand and what is worth getting fixed. I can't sell the stang.. I am in such a predicament because all the work that has been put into the car will be considered worthless. I have paid over 8,000 dollars in repairs for this car and everything is almost fixed. Why get rid of it?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
ChucksBullitt
2nd Gear Member

every dealer is diffrent with "book hrs" and their labor charges. but i would guess you will bent over for something close if not exceeding $2k. with all those problems it is kind of difficult to guesstimate. as far as the gas issue. i had that issue in my ranger and cougar. do you put the nozzle all the way in? or do you leave it out a bit? i know on some fords and even other vehicles (both my gti's) the pumps would shut off after a few seconds with the nozzle fully in there. but the tank would be empty. just gotta trick the pump lol
Old 07-29-2008, 04:13 PM
califas_1987
3rd Gear Member

The gas tank issue sounds weird, but my guess would be that the hose leading down to the tank might be kinked or choked off at some point before it goes into the tank.

Most of the work is going to be troubleshooting it. You can at least count on a minimum of about 8 hours worth of work. I would insist that their best troubleshooter work on this particular job.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ChucksBullitt

every dealer is diffrent with "book hrs" and their labor charges. but i would guess you will bent over for something close if not exceeding $2k. with all those problems it is kind of difficult to guesstimate. as far as the gas issue. i had that issue in my ranger and cougar. do you put the nozzle all the way in? or do you leave it out a bit? i know on some fords and even other vehicles (both my gti's) the pumps would shut off after a few seconds with the nozzle fully in there. but the tank would be empty. just gotta trick the pump lol

I tried every single configuration possible. I even pulled out the nozzle so far I was watching the gas pour in. Doens't matter, all that does is make it overflow.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

hmm..well you can take care of the transmssion fluid and the brakes yourself.
for the 50k check up, just run some fuel system cleaner, new plugs, new airfilter, new fuel filter, and clean the engine bay up a bit.
Thats about 600 plus dollarsright there.
90 dollars an hour is crazy! The VW dealer i use to work for had those labor rates.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

The spark plugs, fuel filter, and air filter are 3,000 miles old. I ran fuel system cleaner it in yesterday. How do you change the transmission fluid???? I must know!!

Quick Reply: Everyone, read this please! I want REAL opinions!