MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   2000 mustang making whistle sound?? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/469329-2000-mustang-making-whistle-sound.html)

Perf_white_GT 07-30-2008 12:31 PM

2000 mustang making whistle sound??

Ok so i recently got my car back after a new motor and heads/cam install and now its making a whistling noise and stalling out on occasion...

Car is tuned.. cams are baby cams 262XE with stage 2 patriot heads

doesnt seem to do it untill the car warms up and has been running for a little bit... then it will do it every other stoplight...

any idea???

kinda pissing me off...lol

99GTvert 07-30-2008 12:43 PM

RE: 2000 mustang making whistle sound??

You sure they didn't put a blower on there?[&o]

Check for any loose connections. Have you contacted the shop that did the installation?

Perf_white_GT 07-30-2008 12:51 PM

Yea its at the shop right now...

side note... i'm hovering around 285rwhp through manifolds

could a bottle neck in the exhaust (manifolds) cause enough of a breathing problem that it could choke down the motor?

and an oil breather cap... thats not neccesary.. i'd assume not since my car isnt anything special...

maybe they felt sorry for my mustang and hid a tiny turbo somewhere...ahaha...

jwarner0297 07-30-2008 01:43 PM

no your manifolds won't cause that. like 99gtvert said check connections, I thought maybe a vacuum leak, cause that would cause whistling and the motor to die, but it should do it all the time

99GTvert 07-30-2008 05:16 PM

Nice numbers. Looking for LTs next?

Perf_white_GT 07-30-2008 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: 99GTvert

Nice numbers. Looking for LTs next?
Thanks!

as for the LT's.....oh god yes.... had i the money i'd already have them... oh well hopefully i can have them within the next few weeks or so...

johnr2001gt 07-30-2008 07:43 PM

I have heard of this happening after cam install, mine is actually making a whistling sound as well since installing the cams. it does not cut out though. I have checked everything and cant figure out where its coming from. sounds like it has a s trim on it.

Evenexchange 07-30-2008 09:44 PM

Vaccum hose leak.

Perf_white_GT 08-09-2008 12:23 PM

yea so my car sounds like it has a blower on it...

One of the hoses had colapsed cutting off air into the inlet next to the IAC valve

But I have heard that on some motors that high crankcase pressure can cause a whistle and usally allevated by using a oil breather cap...

But i cannot find one for a 2v mustang... ideas???

35thAnni99GT 08-09-2008 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Perf_white_GT

yea so my car sounds like it has a blower on it...

One of the hoses had colapsed cutting off air into the inlet next to the IAC valve
There's your idle problem. I assume you fixed it.

But I have heard that on some motors that high crankcase pressure can cause a whistle and usally allevated by using a oil breather cap...
In any situation its always better to run a breather on one side or at least a catch can. Especially with new cams/heads installed you will experience significant amount of oil consumption through the intake without it.

But i cannot find one for a 2v mustang... ideas???
You may need to find a small adapter or make one somehow, but try any of the auto parts stores. They should have small breather caps made by K&N, Mr. Gasket, or a number of brands.

PS - Make sure one side is sucking or "pulling" and the other side is open through the breather.