4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Planning to leave my VTEC and get a V8

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 02:56 AM
vicximus

Default Planning to leave my VTEC and get a V8

Hi guys, i use to drive a civic and dropped around 6gz in it till it got wrecked! Right now I'm planning on getting another civic or a Mustang GT. I used to hate mustangs and thought the GTs were slow TILL i got to test drove one. I just love the noise it makes and the sales person made me do doughnuts! This thing is a beast! I was going to get the car right on the spot but my credit didnt went through, so right now im just waiting for my settlement. Can u guys answer my questions,
1. I dont really care about MPG but How much is the Gas Tank Capacity? is it 15 Gallons? ON a Full tank how many miles can u get?
2. Im 19 years old and Im thinking about financing a 00' GT. Full coverage insurance, how much am I looking at for a full coverage Insurance, by the way i have a clean driving history, no tickets or accidents.
3. Is this car realiable? i mean if i buy a Mustang with 80,000 Miles is it still reliable?
4. What is it going to take for me to get to the mid or low 13s?

THanks guys, i hope you guys can help me out, Im just excited on getting one but first i want to know the facts before i purchase one.

Just try to answer some of the question, it will be great if you can give comments on everye question.
Thanks guys, im just excited to get a V8
Old 05-10-2005, 03:10 AM
96 TBird 4.6
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Planning to leave my VTEC and get a V8

what year GT are you looking to buy? 99-04 GT's are low 14 second cars and come with 260hp stock. theres the good ol' 5.0 where mods come cheaper and can make one badass ride. 96-98 GT's are slower in stock form but can be easily made faster with a few simple mods.

since your looking at a 2000GT, and being 19 like myself, insurance will be out the *** even with a clean record. get a 5speed, which is good for anything between 14.0 to 14.4 in stock form. gears, exhaust, chip should drop you into the high 13s.

its good to see a honda driver converting to some v8 american power! good luck with your search!
Old 05-10-2005, 03:14 AM
vicximus

I still have big respect on hondas. The sleeper ones, not the riced out ones. Theres some clean civics that are freaking quick as hell! But i just want a RWD car and something thats worth it to invest money on. Hey how much do you pay for your insurance? Is it full coverage? I live in las vegas and insurance here is really expensive. Is the Insurance for a GT the same amount you pay for like a Acura integra Type R or a Celica GTS?
Old 05-10-2005, 03:24 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

You could hit mid 13's easily with a 99+ GT. Some basic bolt ons, gears, nice tires, suspension mods, and good driving could get you low 13's maybe even high high 12's.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:47 AM

As far as insurance it'll depend on your driving record (clean), coverage (full), where you live, and if it's going to be in your name or your parents name.

Either way it'll be more expensive than a Civic.

I'll just say good luck with whatever you end up with.

Old 05-10-2005, 03:53 AM
vicximus

Is the difference b/w the two will be a lot? Because im planning on financing a GT and i will need to get full coverage insurance. If insurance will be over 300 dollars, im just going to stick with a civic till i turn 25
Old 05-10-2005, 05:00 AM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

might be close to that. It'll be a lot different from a civic. Also, I don't know what you mean by reliable after 80,000 miles, I don't think any used car would be reliable after 80,000 miles unless you knew how it had been treated during those 80,000 miles. If you buy your stang at low miles, take care of it well (change fluids, keep things clean) you'll be good to go over 80,000 miles fo sho. I think the tank is 15 or 16 gallons, I get about 200-220 miles almost all city and i fill up between 12 and 13 gallons. Maybe if you drove like a nun you could get more, but it's physcially impossible for me to drive real gently. Full coverage will probably be close to your limit, so you better do homework if you're worried about that. Put a supercharger on it, you'll haul a lot of ***.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:25 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: vicximus

Hi guys, i use to drive a civic and dropped around 6gz in it till it got wrecked! Right now I'm planning on getting another civic or a Mustang GT. I used to hate mustangs and thought the GTs were slow TILL i got to test drove one. I just love the noise it makes and the sales person made me do doughnuts! This thing is a beast! I was going to get the car right on the spot but my credit didnt went through, so right now im just waiting for my settlement. Can u guys answer my questions,
1. I dont really care about MPG but How much is the Gas Tank Capacity? is it 15 Gallons? ON a Full tank how many miles can u get?
2. Im 19 years old and Im thinking about financing a 00' GT. Full coverage insurance, how much am I looking at for a full coverage Insurance, by the way i have a clean driving history, no tickets or accidents.
3. Is this car realiable? i mean if i buy a Mustang with 80,000 Miles is it still reliable?
4. What is it going to take for me to get to the mid or low 13s?

THanks guys, i hope you guys can help me out, Im just excited on getting one but first i want to know the facts before i purchase one.

Just try to answer some of the question, it will be great if you can give comments on everye question.
Thanks guys, im just excited to get a V8
that's what most ricers think
full coverage for me is 1600/yr and i'm 23. you'll probably be looking at about 2000/yr maybe. depends on the area you live in. if the stang was taken care of for those 80,000 miles, she's got many miles ahead of her. you can get in the high 13s with gears and tires if it's a 99-04.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:24 AM
jchittick
3rd Gear Member

I'm financing an 03 GT 5spd. I'm 23, have full coverage (i mean everything) through State Farm and I pay $215 a month with no wrecks and no tickets. If you sit down with an insurance agent, you will be able to massage those numbers a little. For example, some people don't want rental car insurance, which pays for a rental if you wreck your car. Also you can lower your payment by having a higher deductible. Also, don't get qutoes online. I did and it was nothing close (a lot higher) than what mine actually was through an agent. If you go through State Farm, they have a program for people ages 18-24 with a clean history that is aimed at lower payments. It is called Steer Clear, and you fill out a few questionairres, watch a video, take a quiz and get 15% off.

I fill my gas tank up when the light comes on and it takes 13-14 gallons to fill it up. Ford says that you get 18/26 fuel economy, but i like to get on it quite often. I get anywhere from 200-275 miles on a full tank depending on conditions.

It will be reliable, just change that oil every 3000, with pure synthectic, IMHO.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13593/51B0CD15A4374F2C93F2D30997756AF4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-10-2005, 03:21 PM
LuvBottles97GT
2nd Gear Member

Well you are going to be insuring a 2000 GT not a C6. So therefore your insurance with a clean record like you say you have wont be that bad. Everyone thinks that insurance is gonna be outrageous....you just have to find the right insurance company. Im 21 with 2 speeding tickets and an accident on my record and i pay $142 a month on my 89 Aries and my 97 GT. Just shop around man. But thats just my 2 pennies!

Quick Reply: Planning to leave my VTEC and get a V8