4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Blu-Thunder Shifter Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 03:44 AM
LIVIN_LEGEND
2nd Gear Member

Default Blu-Thunder Shifter Review

i just wanted to warn everyon that you really do get what you pay for. I bought the blu-thunder shifter from uprproducts for $90..... its great and all until the bolts come loose every 2000 miles. this is the third time where i have had to tighten the bolts on the shifter since i have purchased it. It works great when it works....better tighten the bolts before you go to the track.

just wanted to but out a warning
Old 05-10-2005, 08:11 AM
Blue70
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Blu-Thunder Shifter Review

The UPR is a great shifter, you said it yourself, and if your only problem with it is that the bolts keep needing to be tightened than it’s pretty obvious to me that you did not use any thread locker like you should have. At the very least some muscle and some lock washers.

Sounds to me like you would have had this problem with any shifter you bought seeing as it’s a fastener problem, and not a function problem.

You can’t blame the shifter for your mistakes [>:]

Old 05-10-2005, 11:49 AM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

I've got the same shifter with the fully adjustable handle, but no problems with loose bolts. I replaced the 4 that hold it to the tranny and the 2 that hold the handle with longer stainless bolts with lock washers... It was pretty noisy, but I just added the gaskets from mustangtuning.com and it seems to have helped the noise without mushing up the shifter...
Old 05-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Blue70
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: closer9
It was pretty noisy, but I just added the gaskets from mustangtuning.com and it seems to have helped the noise without mushing up the shifter...
Did you reuse the 2 stock rubber boots at the base?
I was able to stretch the stock ones over the UPR shifter.
I have no noise
Old 05-10-2005, 12:58 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blue70

The UPR is a great shifter, you said it yourself, and if your only problem with it is that the bolts keep needing to be tightened than it’s pretty obvious to me that you did not use any thread locker like you should have. At the very least some muscle and some lock washers.

Sounds to me like you would have had this problem with any shifter you bought seeing as it’s a fastener problem, and not a function problem.

You can’t blame the shifter for your mistakes [>:]

I agree. Locktite is your friend!
Old 05-10-2005, 01:48 PM
LIVIN_LEGEND
2nd Gear Member

do you work for them.......... i do love the shifter, but every mounth and a half the handle comes lose and i use everything they have sent me read the directions step by step, ..... the rubber washer also melted this time... and yes i use muscle

what is thread locker.... did they send this to me, cause i used everything they sent
Old 05-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Blue70
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LIVIN_LEGEND

do you work for them.......... i do love the shifter, but every mounth and a half the handle comes lose and i use everything they have sent me read the directions step by step, ..... the rubber washer also melted this time... and yes i use muscle

what is thread locker.... did they send this to me, cause i used everything they sent
No I do not work for them, but I do have some common sense. [&:]

Thread locker is also referred to as Locktite (but that is really a brand name) every mechanic should have a bottle or two, and I am sorry but even if you bought a $5000 shifter you most likely would not get a bottle.

Just run to your local hardware store and pick up a bottle, medium strength is fine, make sure your threads are clean, goop a bit of thread lock on the threads and tighten, let it set up a bit and shift until your hands are blue and you can no longer feel your clutch leg

What rubber washer are you talking about?? I don't recall any rubber washers
Old 05-10-2005, 07:25 PM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: closer9
It was pretty noisy, but I just added the gaskets from mustangtuning.com and it seems to have helped the noise without mushing up the shifter...
Did you reuse the 2 stock rubber boots at the base?
I was able to stretch the stock ones over the UPR shifter.
I have no noise
I reused the upper one that bolts to the floor pan. I was going to put the other one on after I noticed the noise, but I moved shortly after, and haven't come across the box with the old shifter/boot in it... When I do find it I will put it on...
Old 05-10-2005, 07:37 PM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LIVIN_LEGEND

No I do not work for them, but I do have some common sense. [&:]

Thread locker is also referred to as Locktite (but that is really a brand name) every mechanic should have a bottle or two, and I am sorry but even if you bought a $5000 shifter you most likely would not get a bottle.

Just run to your local hardware store and pick up a bottle, medium strength is fine, make sure your threads are clean, goop a bit of thread lock on the threads and tighten, let it set up a bit and shift until your hands are blue and you can no longer feel your clutch leg

What rubber washer are you talking about?? I don't recall any rubber washers
YEah, what he said^^^^ LOL, I just recently noticed the same thing with my Blu Thunder. I was like WTF why do the bolts keep coming loose![:@] Then I was like oh yeah.....it got hot which cause the bolts to loosen.....solution=thread locker (locktite)
Old 05-11-2005, 12:43 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

i got the same shifter and the shifter freakin came off one day when i was driving! i shifted into 3rd and punched the dash! and i used threadlock and im no weak person! the bottom bolt came off and i was stuck somewhere for like 30 min till i could get it to go into gear again. im going to have to do something about this cause i like this shifter, its cheap and good. just has the bolt problem.

Quick Reply: Blu-Thunder Shifter Review