4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How much did you pay for a dyno tune?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:16 PM
buster84

Default How much did you pay for a dyno tune?

I live in Sacramento and looking for a custom dyno shop and i have talked to 2 shops (bay area and sac) and im starting to get mad at each one. Each shop told me that their is a min price of $400 and the other was $500 but yet there hourly wage is only $125 and hour for custom tuning. They said i have to pay the $400 because i'm supercharged and thats the min. We'll this irritates me because i know tuning does not require 4 hours to do and i only want a basic tune, im not trying to squeeze the most power out of it, i just want to be able to drive it. Why are there no legit shops here. I don't want anything advanced. I have pretty much a stock gt and i added a Saleen supercharger, but i heard the Saleen tune sucks so i prefer a custom tune. I was told it should only take 1-2 hours max by a tuner, but he's in a different state. Are the shops not understanding what i want? If they finished in 1 hour, how can they charge me for unused time. This just seems wrong. Is there any shop that actually charges by the hour in sac or near. I also have my own sct tuner.[/align]
Old 07-30-2008, 06:29 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How much did you pay for a dyno tune?

I've been wondering this for a while, but I can never get a straight answer from anyone.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Perf_white_GT
2nd Gear Member

about 250 here...

I picked up my diablosport predator up for about 50... they didnt want it anymore... so i took it off their hands
Old 07-30-2008, 06:43 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

I paid $575 for my dyno tune on my 02 GT. That included the price for the SCT Xcal II handheld tuner that I kept at the end of the tuning.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:39 PM
buster84

Wow, those prices are so much better than over here in California are any of you guys in california? 575 is a really good deal with an xcal II. I keep getting quoted $400 or $500 and thats with my sct livewire. I am not going to sit back and let them rob me though, I will take my video camera and record the total time it takes them to do everything. Then if they finish after 2 hours and refuse to deduct the pay, then ill pay them and sue them on judge judy for steeling money for hours not used. I think the average consumer just accepts this and pays it, i dont think anyone has fought back to this fraud. If they advertise a hourly rate for tuning how can they then tell you the minimum is $400, if i dont need 4 hours (half day) i shouldnt be forced to pay it. Anyone know a good shop that doesnt do this in Northern Calforina? I also spent $600 on a tuner i dont need another $400 for a tune. I just have the stock saleen supercharger, if i dont find a shop thats cheap im selling my tuner and mailing in my ecu and be done with it. 20hp for a custom tune is not worth 1k.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

I think theyre partially charging you for the time to tune, but also for their services. If thats the case...then theres really nothing legally you can do about it. Just keep searching around. You may have to drive a little ways by the sounds of it to find someone worth going to. Tuning isnt something you should just skimp out on and choose the closest shop b/c its convenient.

On another note...yes, I was very happy with my price lol.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:24 PM
buster84

Yeah i understand what your saying, but if thats the case then the shops need to redo there pricing because they list 125 and hour for dyno and tuning. Doesnt say anything about extra charges or have a disclamer. So they should really update there web sites. I really am not mad about the pricing if they would just say its $400 to begin with i would be fine. I really dont appreshiate the fact of false advertising, saying its $125 and hour and then saying sorry its really $400 and not $125 and hour. Thats all my gripe is about. Do you know of any good shops in the nor cal area? Where di you get your car done?
Old 07-31-2008, 01:53 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Dynotuning.com (located just south of santa rosa), Brad is awesome. He may give ya a discount if ya tell him Wai Wai from CA-Mustangs sent ya, or just join CA-mustangs if ya want.

The guys over at AED (located in shingle springs) are pretty good as well, I think they also give discounts for CA-mustang members.

I've had my car baselined by Brad, he also helped me out with a few tweaks. And Drew @ AED did my tranny swap.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:03 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Cost me about 425.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:51 AM
the_camo_snake
2nd Gear Member

In oklahoma I got mine for $150. I already had a Xcal II so that helped and my friend that took my car to get tuned knows teh guy real well so I might have just got the hook up.

Quick Reply: How much did you pay for a dyno tune?