4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need a new intake manifold says the dealer

Old 07-31-2008, 11:13 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Need a new intake manifold says the dealer

the fvcked up thing is Ford lost the lawsuit about this and now they are trying to rape you to fix their fvcked up design! The intake is a piece of cake to chage, you can do it in an afternoon, don't be afraid to tackle the job.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:59 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92stangerang

when in doubt bag the bolts!! sharpie them too. you could rebuild a whole car that way. ive done it. lol. mechanics normally charge like 70+ an hour. do it your self and get some knowledge under the belt. it really isn't hard. that link that devinjue looks helpful.
LOL +1 i do this with everything i buy sandwich bags and the only thing that goes in them isn't edible.

and basically what everyone else said, you can do this youself..its a good starting point to learn how to work on your car, fairly easy just keep everything in order... which isn't much with this repair.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:34 AM
califas_1987
3rd Gear Member

The only thing you really need to worry about is to keep the engine bay area clear of any loose items. Do not lay bolts on the side, bag them up and label them like every body else said. Keep a camera near by and take pictures if you want. The job is not hard at all, and the bag and camera are just in case you forget.

The reason you want to keep all loose items away is so that something doesn't accidentally fall into any crevices. but by the time you are ready to pull it off, you should have everything accounted for. Once it is off, lay a rag over any opening to protect them from anything going in. If you have never done anything on your car, this is not a bad job to get started with.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:01 AM
1vryfststang
2nd Gear Member

It is a easy job and it will give you experience and make you respect your car more. If you want to go the cheap route put the stocker back on, but when something like that breaks with me I just see a prime time to convince myself I need to upgrade to something better =-) AND I'm not talking another plastic intake manifold with the aluminum crossover eithier haha
Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 AM
lewistk
2nd Gear Member

what year is your car? i wouldnt be a pi intake on npi heads if you are 99+ it looks as tho by ur picture and name u have a 2000 or later? npi heads/cams and intake are pre 99.
it is a relatively straight forward swap, just follow the stickies. im doing the same thing too in a couple weeks,dont get raped by a mechanic to do it. take your time and get it done yourself man honest.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:24 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

********ONE IMPORTANT THING EVERYONE IS FORGETTING TO TELL YOU!!!********

If your old manifold has the plastic crossover, and you get the aluminum one (which you should lol), youll need to get a different alternator bracket. The bolt pattern is different between the two manifolds, and i didnt know until i went to put the old bracket on, and saw that it didnt match up. Had to drive home without the bracket on. Kinda nervous. [&:]So be sure to order yourself the newer bracket too, the one that matches up to the intake manifolds with aluminum crossover.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:02 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

It's a 5 hour job for a novice who knows how to use a wratchet set.

Mine turned into a 12 hour job, but that's another storey [:@]

Yea, the alternator bracket thing was a pain in the butthole for me, but once you get it all squared away it's a really simple swap.

George, did your new bracket have a big piece on the back of it that sits up in front of the plenum area where all the hoses are running? Mine did, and its so big and clumsy that it got in the way of some vacuum hoses. They all fit and what not, but they're cramped as hell.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:12 PM
19nickj86

professional products typhoon intake
Old 08-01-2008, 03:49 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ChucksBullitt

yeah the search is broke. they are working on it. you can do the manifold yourself. its fairly straight forward. just have to make sure to clean everything really well (old gasket materials and such) and do some checks to make sure you dont have to replace anything else. no need to replace hoses unless they are cracked or if they are leaking fluids. go to a auto salvage place for a manifold or buy one spankin new. can go with a regular mani or a trick flow one (actually a bullitt manifold that was copied)... all depends on your future goals. should only take a few hours to do the swap out. just take your time.
[sm=gears.gif]
Have you ever even seen a Trickflow intake and a bullitt intake. I doubt it or you wouldnt have made that comment. The only thing the same between the two is the plenum attaches to the back of the intake. Everything else about the trickflow is completely different from the bullitt.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Primussucks2k
1st Gear Member

i agree that this is a good starting point for me to learn some things about working on my car. it would also be a great time for me to upgrade the part as well. ****, for 1400 bucks i could do a lot! my car is totally stock so this would be a nice starting point. i could also upgrade the TB and the plenum and a cai, which i wouldn't have a problem doing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need a new intake manifold says the dealer