4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need a new intake manifold says the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:27 PM
Primussucks2k
1st Gear Member

Default Need a new intake manifold says the dealer

So according to the santa monica ford dealership service dept. my intake manifold is leaking coolant and they want $1400 bucks to replace it. the part is like $700 bucks and labor is $550. add taxes etc.. its about the 1400. they said if i wanted to replace all the hoses its another $650 i think... anyways i was thinking an intake manifold is a bolt on procedure and maybe i could tackle it on my own?? i definitly do NOT wanna spend that kinda money. what do you guys think about those numbers? also what would be a good piece to replace it with and how hard is it to replace an intake mani with gaskets etc..
Old 07-31-2008, 09:33 PM
Primussucks2k
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Need a new intake manifold says the dealer

btw the "search" feature doesn't seem to be working? i tried looking up "intake manifold" and got 0 results. then i put in "mustang" which should have given me a billion, but still 0 results...
Old 07-31-2008, 09:35 PM
devineju
1st Gear Member

American Muscle has them with free shipping. The plastic ones with the aluminum coolant crossover like the ones that come stock run for 196.00 with free shipping. 1400? I live in Maryland and they wanted 1100.00 for 7 new ignition coils, 8 plugs, new intake, thermostat, radiator flush-n-fill, new hoses, oil change. 1400 seems kind of steep, but you do live in Santa Monica......

Old 07-31-2008, 09:39 PM
ChucksBullitt
2nd Gear Member

yeah the search is broke. they are working on it. you can do the manifold yourself. its fairly straight forward. just have to make sure to clean everything really well (old gasket materials and such) and do some checks to make sure you dont have to replace anything else. no need to replace hoses unless they are cracked or if they are leaking fluids. go to a auto salvage place for a manifold or buy one spankin new. can go with a regular mani or a trick flow one (actually a bullitt manifold that was copied)... all depends on your future goals. should only take a few hours to do the swap out. just take your time.
[sm=gears.gif]
Old 07-31-2008, 09:39 PM
92stangerang
2nd Gear Member

its kinda funny how i just said something about another post on replacing the intake due to cracking. its not funny really but..... you can replace the intake manifold its not hard! the part is really only 219.00. so yeah youd be getting F****d.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:44 PM
devineju
1st Gear Member

Check out this link..

https://mustangforums.com/m_3833004/tm.htm
Old 07-31-2008, 09:50 PM
shakenbake16
1st Gear Member

yeah man definately try it yourself.. just take your time and you should have no problems at all, straight forward n basic tools.. $300 tops in parts total
Old 07-31-2008, 09:59 PM
92stangerang
2nd Gear Member

when in doubt bag the bolts!! sharpie them too. you could rebuild a whole car that way. ive done it. lol. mechanics normally charge like 70+ an hour. do it your self and get some knowledge under the belt. it really isn't hard. that link that devinjue looks helpful.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Primussucks2k
1st Gear Member

so the stock piece is plastic?and this would be a pi swap onto a npi head i believe. i looked at those instructions and i have to be honest it all looks a bit intimidating. i have never worked on an engine before and if anything were to go wrong i would be completely lost!!! maybe i can try one of the other forums here to see if theres anyone near me that can help me with this
Old 07-31-2008, 10:42 PM
92stangerang
2nd Gear Member

DUDE listen. it is not hard as long as you take your time! no buddies no girlfriend. just do it.
every bolt you take out, put it in a bag and tag it. youd be amazed what you can do. or if you have the wallet then pay someone. if youre really wanting to do it yourself then im sure we can help you along the way. how about buying a 20.00 manual. I HATE TO SEE SOMEONE GET SCREWED BY A JABRONEE MECHANIC.

Quick Reply: Need a new intake manifold says the dealer