4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I am going to be changing the transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 01:07 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default I am going to be changing the transmission fluid

Tomorrow morning after I get back from the boat I am going to be changing the transmission fluid in the 2000 5 Speed Standard Mustang GT. The dealership wants $188.00 to do it. F*** that.

I was just wondering if you guys have any pointers? I have never even looked under my car at the transmission haha.. I am hoping that it's pretty self-explanatory? I know theres like.. a cap on the bottom and the top. The bottom cap is for draining, and the top for filling. I already got a pump to pump it up into the top (going by what people told me to buy).

I bought:

Castrol Domestic Multi-Vehicle ATF Automatic transmission fluid. I was hesitant about buying the Automatic transmission fluid because.. my car's a standard? Lol.. but I asked like 2 people that know a lot about this stuff and they said that's exactly what it needs. I bought a big gallon jug of it. Idk, I guess the transmission takes like 3.1L of the stuff.. and I got 3.78L. Is there any way to keep track of how much you put in? Thanks guys, seriousely.. makes my life like 6,000 times easier.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:53 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I am going to be changing the transmission fluid

You don't have to keep track of how much you put in. You just fill it until the fluid starts running out of the fill hole.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:12 AM
penroe71

No worries, it is pretty straight forward. Good thing you have a pump, it is a must.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:23 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: penroe71

No worries, it is pretty straight forward. Good thing you have a pump, it is a must.
its not a must at all. ive changed my fluid multiple times without a pump and have had no issues/messes.

remove the shifter boot and inner boot and route a hose down through the opening into the fill hole of the tranny.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 945LSTANG

ORIGINAL: penroe71

its not a must at all. ive changed my fluid multiple times without a pump and have had no issues/messes.

remove the shifter boot and inner boot and route a hose down through the opening into the fill hole of the tranny.
Wait.. is that where you are supposeed to fuilter the fluid out of..? or where you are supposed to put it in? Where are these holes?!? lol
Old 08-03-2008, 06:27 PM
ChucksBullitt
2nd Gear Member

you can use the fill hole on the top of the tranny. or you can pour it in where your shifter is, inside the car. i just did this yesterday. i poured in from inside the car. i didnt feel like laying under the car with a pump and such. took me about 30mins to do everything. just have to either buy a new shifter gasket or use red RTV and make a gasket yourself. next step, rear end fluid! lol.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:11 PM
FixFalcon
2nd Gear Member

How often should you change tranny fluid on a 5-speed?
Old 08-03-2008, 07:22 PM
ChucksBullitt
2nd Gear Member

books differ on that questions. so do dealers and mechanics. i usually do it every 30-40k. depending on how much abuse ive given the tranny. i use the same mileage timeline for my rear-end fluid as well. some might call it crazy, i call it being cautious.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Um, why would you need a new gasket?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:20 PM
ChucksBullitt
2nd Gear Member

if you take out the shifter and pour it in from the top. instead of laying under the car with the hand pumper. i cant stand laying under the car for too long. so i choose to pour in from the top. got a bad back so..

Quick Reply: I am going to be changing the transmission fluid