4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I need brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 01:46 AM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

Default I need brakes

Its definetly time for new pads, but I'm thinking that the rotors are about due too. I wanting to upgrade to some cross drill rotors, but i know little to nothing about brakes. Any advise on what i should get for pad and rotors? I drive a 96 gt.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:23 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default RE: I need brakes

Cross-drilled rotors are not an upgrade, read this before you buy. Vendors sell them because uneducated purchasers want them.[/align][/align]I got a set of slotted only rotors from this eBay seller (a machine shop in Lowell MA) for $158 delivered. Theyhave powder-coated hubs and edges, each weighed within 0.5 oz of their mate, and are very nicely machined...[/align]
Old 08-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I learned something new today... I'm going back to bed.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Perf_white_GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk
I got a set of slotted only rotors from this eBay seller (a machine shop in Lowell MA) for $158 delivered.

so these are pretty good?

and thats all four corners? and pads?

sorry for the hijack
Old 08-03-2008, 10:10 AM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

i run ceramic breaks on my GT and love them. pretty much zero dust, and stop much better than the stocker type pads. they have them at a pretty reasonable cost on summitracing.com....i believe the brand is powerstop. they were something like $60 for the front pair, and a tad more for the back.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:18 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

That was just the rotors. Some of the best pads I've found (and that I have been using exclusively on our cars for 5-6 years now) are Pep-Boys' ProStop Ceramic padsthey are reasonably priced, and quite well made.[/align][/align]Stay away from any pads where a magnet will stick to the pad itself. This means the pads have iron powder in them, many "semi-metallic" pads do, and they will make a horrible brown mess that can actully corrode the alloy wheels. [/align][/align]If you insist on semi-metallic pads make sure they say "ferrous free" or something to that effect on the package, or just bring a magnet with you and tell them to keep 'em if the magnet sticks...[/align][/align][/align]
Old 08-03-2008, 02:19 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

That was just the rotors. Some of the best pads I've found (and that I have been using exclusively on our cars for 5-6 years now) are Pep-Boys' ProStop Ceramic padsthey are reasonably priced, and quite well made.[/align][/align]Stay away from any pads where a magnet will stick to the pad itself. This means the pads have iron powder in them, many "semi-metallic" pads do, and they will make a horrible brown mess that can actully corrode the alloy wheels. [/align][/align]If you insist on semi-metallic pads make sure they say "ferrous free" or something to that effect on the package, or just bring a magnet with you and tell them to keep 'em if the magnet sticks...[/align][/align][/align]
Interesting, I never knew that!

I like Bendix CTS Ceramic pads for the Mustang. They stop well, have low dust factor and come as a complete kit with new clips, caliper lube etc.
They are also reasonably priced.
They have free replacement/lifetime warranty for one shot.

Last pad change I made the mistake of getting the Semi-Metallic (i think?) Bendix model one below the CTS pads and they have been a nightmare.
They squeak, even with goop on them and also they don't come with the clips etc. The store was out of the CTS so I took a chance on these and made a big mistake.

As for cross drilled, I see no reason at all for them other than looks and even then on some cars, like Mustangs with the stock size rotors, they look stupid IMHO because they call attention to how small the rotors are in these cars.
I wouldn't want to take a chance on one cracking on me.

Slotted is a totally different story and offer additional performance without endangering your life at the same time.

You really get what you pay for in most cases, and wrt to brakes, I listen to the pros because the risk of putting cheap parts in the braking system is just not worth it.

Very good article you linked to BTW.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:49 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

So it seems like a set of ceramic brakes are the way to go. What would be a good price on those?
Old 08-04-2008, 02:37 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

check this out
Old 08-04-2008, 02:41 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: swarthyfellow

So it seems like a set of ceramic brakes are the way to go. What would be a good price on those?
[/align][/align]I just Googled "mustang ceramic brake pads" and got 28,200 hitsbet you could figure it out by clicking on a few of those...[/align]

Quick Reply: I need brakes