4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

anybody remove there abs

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 04:39 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

Default anybody remove there abs

hey just wondering if anybody has removed their abs module and just ran lines, just looking for any potential problems doing this anyone has run into.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:48 PM
ChucksBullitt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: anybody remove there abs

i forget who makes the kit. but you can convert the system to fully manual fairly cheap. i would pull the module and run it around the block to see if you feel anything "out of the ordinary" manual brakes + wet florida roads = nightmare.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:54 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

well it wouldnt really make it manual brakes as they are hydro boost just no abs under tire slipping situations.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:11 PM
ChucksBullitt
2nd Gear Member

buy a manual kit and drop weight. lol
Old 08-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Modular_Madness96
2nd Gear Member

THis really isnt a worthwhile mod IMO.Theres not that much weight to lose in the abs and it certainly isnt very safe.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:23 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ABS = the middle pedal used properly;[/align][/align]T/C = the skinny pedal on the right used properly;[/align][/align]Both in combination with driving in keeping with current conditions...[/align]
Old 08-04-2008, 07:47 PM
mustang_pa
4th Gear Member

i did it on my 94 GT. i would never do it to another car. Reason behind this is the first time you slam on your brakes hard enough to skid to a stop to avoid an accident you will get a flat spot on you front tires like you wouldn't believe. Then you have to get new tires or live with the constant feeling of running over a cat all day long.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:00 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

My '03 GT is the first car I've ever owned with ABS. Somehow I have managed to survive well over 45 years of driving without it. [/align][/align]Keep a safe distance in traffic, do not drive in excess of what conditions warrant, and assume at all times that the other guy is an ******* (you will not be that far off); do these things and you won't need ABS or traction control. They are crutches for people who don't know how to drive.[/align][/align]
Old 08-04-2008, 08:18 PM
mustang_pa
4th Gear Member

I would keep the abs. It is far superior than a non abs according to road and track that did an abs test and abs did better in all weather/road conditions, and common sense.
alot of these new car systemsindependant suspension, abs,fuel systems, brakes...ect come from race cars that try new things and eventually goon thepublic market.
Anyone can get into an accident, that is why they are called accidents.
cliffyk did you take off your abs?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:26 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

My '03 GT is the first car I've ever owned with ABS. Somehow I have managed to survive well over 45 years of driving without it. [/align] [/align]Keep a safe distance in traffic, do not drive in excess of what conditions warrant, and assume at all times that the other guy is an ******* (you will not be that far off); do these things and you won't need ABS or traction control. They are crutches for people who don't know how to drive.[/align] [/align]
yup.. i used to ALWAYS have t/c on in the rain.. but you really dont need it at all. my old fox body didnt have abs and i used to slam on the breaks all the time doing donuts and brake stands.. just flat out beating the crap out if it.. i never had problems

Quick Reply: anybody remove there abs