4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New caliper...

Old 08-06-2008, 07:20 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New caliper...

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

You really don't want to use too much grease on the sliders, since it'll cause the same thing as a "hyrdo-lock." Remember, there's still an air gap in there behind where the pin slides, in the bracket.. I
JT
I never realized that.
I generally clean the pins, look for deterioration, use a little scotchbrite if needed and lube.
I *burp* them when I install them and don't use a lot of grease.

+1 on the boots...
They gotta be put on right or contamination will happen.

FWIW my experience with Ford brakes has been that if the pins have been properly maintained it is usually the pistons that stick and generally it's only one of them which results in unevenly worn pads.
IOW worn down on the side where the sticking piston is.

I just went through this a couple of months ago.
Installed new pads, noticed that one caliper was sticking so I got a rebuilt PBR and painted it red like my others.
Installed it and took the car for a ride and I could smell the brakes.

Got back to the driveway and now the *other* side was literally steaming.
Lifted the car, could barely turn the wheel.
Bled the brakes, even though the hose on that side was never removed and it bled fine.
Took the car for another ride, and same problem.
Bled again and this time air came out at first.

It's been fine ever since.

Bottom line, there must have been an air pocket, maybe in the caliper and again this was NOT the caliper I replaced.
It was the other side, front brakes BTW...

In retrospect I should have upgraded to the Cobra brakes...
Maybe I will, I dunno...
The stockers look ridiculous IMHO because of the small rotors but they seem to stop fine for me even under heavy driving.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:27 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New caliper...

ORIGINAL: tspoon965

I just replaced both front calipers on my 2002 GT. Right front locked up. Best bet is always to replace in pairs. You will notice the difference, even if it's trivial. I also replaced the pads and rotors. Not much more money, andcertainly not much more labor once your that far into it.
Never, ever, ever, skimp on brakes.....
And if you don't know what you are doing, find someone who does and observe so you can do it yourself the next time.
It's not rocket science however you can cause serious damage if you do it wrong.

I love these guys that go into the store and demand the cheapest pads they make...
Why?
They will fry, probably will not stop as well, might destroy your rotors and will need to be replaced in short order.
The difference in cost between cheap pads and quality pads is about $50.00 max and that's going on the high side.
It's just not worth it.

Neither are "Made in China" crapo rotors....

You know what their quality control is?

They have a guy wearing horn rimmed "coke bottle lens" glasses checking them and he says it looks round and has 5 studs on it... 4 studs on some cars...
Pass.....
Next....